Kicking Players for Taking the GBA Bowser Castle 3 Ultra

Kicking Players for Taking the GBA Bowser Castle 3 Ultra

Continued from the "About Banning" thread since it was suggested to have its own thread. Full discussion starts here: About banning

The topic is with regards to the BC3 ultra cut being a legitimate cut. Without question, it is an accepted short cut among the community, and it has been accepted since 2008. I know, we like our game to be free of cheats, but frankly, the BC3 ultra is a no-brainer in its acceptance and it is not regarded as a cheat by the community, the players who make the game what it is. It has always been held with high regard, a regular component of the MKWii metagame. The BC3 ultra is as regular and accepted as the DK Summit double, and it is baffling that players are being kicked for taking it. The reasoning behind the kicking is that it's unfair to other vehicles. Vehicle handicap has never been even a remote issue among the community. And, for good reason (because all vehicles can take the ultra). It saddens me that players are being kicked for enjoying the game as they have always enjoyed it since the ultra's discovery. Isn't the point of continuing MKWii with this great service provided by Wiimm and Leseratte so that we can continue playing how we love to?

Given its long-standing acceptance, how are fair-minded players who've been conditioned to play the game with the ultra supposed to respond to being kicked for something that is regarded as perfectly fine? The last thing we need is for players to get kicked for fair play, reasons they cannot possibly wrap their heads around. Do not be surprised if continued kicking causes a backlash. As a player who is strongly anti-cheat, a lover of fair play, and who has been in the community since 2009 and played since 2008, kicking for this reason horrifies me. Please, don't take away our enjoyment of the game.

Anyway, continuing the discussion:

eN-t schrieb:

There are two different cuts - the ultra cut and the smaller one. I don't know them too well but afaik, the ultra one can not be taken with all vehicles, especially karts. The slightly shorter one (from the last ramp) can be taken with any vehicle afaik.

So the ultra one is unfair while the other one is not so much of an advantage. We can discuss this in a separate topic. Also this isn't strictly banned, I just said I might kick people for using it in worldwides. WWs are not a competitive gamemode :P

Worldwides have their own competitive nature to them, and it seems you are out of touch with the nature in which they're played. Yes, they're more slack, but top players still use them in worldwides, especially in pro worldwides. The BC3 ultra defines the metagame, and it's part of the fun of the game.

Now then, I'll have to invalidate your point with evidence:

My shroomless Wild Wing ultra:

Note: This video will be loaded from YouTube, which causes some data, including but not limited to your IP, User Agent and Referrer, to be sent to YouTube servers. For more information see the Privacy Policy. By pressing the "play" button you automatically enable embedding YouTube videos for the future.

Hinweis: Dieses Video wird von YouTube geladen. Dabei werden einige Daten, unter anderem Ihre IP, Ihr User Agent und der Referrer an YouTube-Server gesendet. Für weitere Details lesen Sie bitte die Datenschutzerklärung. Wenn Sie den Play-Button anklicken, erlauben Sie damit automatisch das Einbinden von YouTube-Videos für die Zukunft.

Shroomless Prowler Ultra: Look at the size of the kart. Prowler is also slow as balls.

Note: This video will be loaded from YouTube, which causes some data, including but not limited to your IP, User Agent and Referrer, to be sent to YouTube servers. For more information see the Privacy Policy. By pressing the "play" button you automatically enable embedding YouTube videos for the future.

Hinweis: Dieses Video wird von YouTube geladen. Dabei werden einige Daten, unter anderem Ihre IP, Ihr User Agent und der Referrer an YouTube-Server gesendet. Für weitere Details lesen Sie bitte die Datenschutzerklärung. Wenn Sie den Play-Button anklicken, erlauben Sie damit automatisch das Einbinden von YouTube-Videos für die Zukunft.

Some things about karts. They get default low jumps, so you would think the ultra is impossible. They are bulky in size. Sprinter is bulkier than Wild Wing, and it, too, can make it--I've done it. The slowest bikes and karts can make it with shrooms, and they usually get stuck with nothing but shrooms throughout the entirety of any given race because they're too slow to frontrun, anyway. As an underused vehicle user, I can assure you that I have never once complained about bikes taking the ultra even on days where I never bothered.

It seems you are drawing your conclusion from lack of success in your attempts, or you simply have not tried, speculatively speaking. This is with all due respect, of course, so I hope you don't take that the wrong way.

I urge you to reconsider your stance on kicking anyone who takes the BC3 ultra. As I have demonstrated, it is clearly not a bike-only cut.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Astro Star ()

I have never kicked a player because of this short cut and I will never do.

In my opinion, only the large glitches (Grumble Volcano Start Line Glitch, Coconut Mall, Mushroom Gorge, Mario Circuit, Wario's Gold Mine, GCN Peach Beach and the Rainbow Road online-only-glitch) should be punished.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

As it seems that the demand for this shortcut being allowed is higher than I thought and it can be taken with karts too (which I didn't know, I thought the ultra was exclusive or atleast only feasible to do with Bowser Bike or Mach Bike), I'll admit that I was wrong. I often use Bowser on Off-roader in WWs for fun and have never been able to take the ultra with that vehicle ever before, nor have I ever seen someone taking it with other vehicles than Mach, Bowser or similar Bikes on YouTube (probably because they're the best vehicles to choose in competitive anyways) which is why I assumed it'd be unfair. Also the shortcut is less glitchy than I thought.

However, I only kicked a player for that once who used that repeatedly in a race.

Another shortcut Leseratte did not mention that is and will result in a kick though is the Bowser Castle jump though the ceiling. This one is very glitched.

EDIT: as I'm interested, can you show me the ultra without shrooms using Bowser on Off-roader? ^^ not that I'd use it though, I still think it's more fun to race the whole track instead of skipping 20% of it. Anyways, Off-roader seemed too bulky to me.
      Was?Info
      ModellStandard (weiß, Release-Day)
      Zubehörinterne 500GB HDD, SDHC 32GB, LAN-Adapter, 128MB MemoryCard
      Wi-Fi SpieleWiimm's MKW Fun, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, ...

Was?Info
      ModellPremium (schwarz, Release-Day)
      Zubehör500GB 2,5" HDD (schwarz), SDHC 32GB
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing (S&ASRT), ...

Was?Info
      Modell3DS XL (blau-schwarz)
      ZubehörSuperCard DSTwo, 4GB SDHC
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 7, ...

Was?Code / ID
      Wiimm's MKW-Fun0904-9558-6482
      Nintendo Network IDEnting
      Nintendo 3DS5455-9634-9827

Danke an feeder für meinen tollen Avatar!

eN-t schrieb:

Another shortcut Leseratte did not mention that is and will result in a kick though is the Bowser Castle jump though the ceiling. This one is very glitched.

This one also was allowed to be done in competitive play even though you are right its extremly glitchy and there is no way to deny this. But the thing about it is that it is really hard to do and only saves ~3 seconds of time if i remember correct. But failing this will cost you so much time that it is practically only good in TT.

The interesting thing about it though is that if you are behind in lap 3, take it and manage to do it feels good. Even as the other drivers you rather feel good for the guy who managed to do it.
      Even though that might be true, I'm not exactly willing to allow any shortcut just because it's satisfying to take due to its difficulty. Also it seems to save more than just 3s, atleast a little more (like 5s) but well, that changes nothing about that aspect of it. But the fact that it's highly glitched really bugs me.

I won't kick people for using that, probably, but I encourage everyone not to use it in fun worldwides where there are players who obviously don't play MKW competitively. It can be a fun killer when you are ahead of someone who has 4000 VR more than you and who won the last 10 races, and then he suddenly passes you by using a glitched shortcut or an ultra shortcut you didn't even know about. It feels like cheating because he didn't really win the race with his driving skills but by abusing glitches (and being insanely lucky on top of that).

I don't know what anyone else thinks about that shortcut in BC.
      Was?Info

Was?Info

Was?Info

Was?Code / ID

Well most of the people which are still playing the game are people who played the game for many years already. I also don't think there will be many people even attending to do the shortcut because the chance to fail it is high and the saved time is low.

If you look at the people uploading videos of Wiimmfi races you see that a high amount of people use Texture Hacks which often are way worse than such a small glitch shortcut.

Leseratte schrieb:

I have never kicked a player because of this short cut and I will never do.

In my opinion, only the large glitches (Grumble Volcano Start Line Glitch, Coconut Mall, Mushroom Gorge, Mario Circuit, Wario's Gold Mine, GCN Peach Beach and the Rainbow Road online-only-glitch) should be punished.

As a side note, the ultra shortcuts you've listed are all related to a specific flaw in the checkpoint system involving improper lap counting when key checkpoints are triggered in a certain fashion. Said flaw has since then been patched in CTGP Revolution, hence why I refer to CTGP when I talk about "allowed" shortcuts. The same reason why the BC3 jump, GV rockhop/respawn, BCWii wall clip, and many others are legal relate back to how they do not break their respective key checkpoint ranges. Yes, some of the permitted shortcuts can save a lot of time when performed correctly, but what kind of game would Mario Kart Wii be without its well tuned risk-reward system?
      Why are people being kicked for glitching? They aren't getting any advantage that's not available to other players in the room. It only comes down to a matter of morality which is of course subjective. Not everyone is competitive minded and agrees with the 'community's' idea for what is allowed or not. If you want to play by your own rules private friend rooms are available. I know it's your own server but having rules against things you just don't like (in the public WW area), and blocking legit players from playing how they want is crazy.

Hacking does indeed warrant this great kicking feature because it is gaining advantage over others due to something outside of the game.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von akuma ()

One question: Why do you want to use glitches? They are unfair for people who don't play this game so often and can be a real fun killer if almost all people use that glitch. Every shortcut glitch gives you an advantage, since some players can't do it. In my opinion, every player taking shortcuts that are not intended by the game developer(Nintendo) have to get kicked and will be kicked by me. Because if every player takes the same route, without glitches, THEN they can play competitive since from then it's just a question of skill.
      14.932 bytes pure destruction.
      Well then show me where Nintendo put up their decision on what is an allowed shortcut and what isnt.

Shortcuts ARE a question of skill. EVERYONE is able to learn them. If you don't train yourself it's your fault. If you dont know how to use Items its your fault. If you dont know how to drift it's your fault. There are enough reasons why Shortcuts which don't break the checkpoint system are allowed.

Also now tell me why Nintendo kept the GBA BC3 shortcut which was already in the Gameboy Advance version if Nintendo doesn't allow it? Nintendo never removed such ghosts from the rankings but did this with the MG and GV lapskip.
      I will stick to my opinion for the glitched Wii Bowser Castle shortcut through the ceiling, I guess. That is heavily glitched and shouldn't be part of any competitive play nor fun play.

But as I said, I probably can't be bothered to watch out for people using that. I bet I wouldn't even notice. So there's no real sense in banning that one and kicking players for it I guess.
      Was?Info

Was?Info

Was?Info

Was?Code / ID

Ciapa schrieb:

One question: Why do you want to use glitches? They are unfair for people who don't play this game so often and can be a real fun killer if almost all people use that glitch. Every shortcut glitch gives you an advantage, since some players can't do it. In my opinion, every player taking shortcuts that are not intended by the game developer(Nintendo) have to get kicked and will be kicked by me. Because if every player takes the same route, without glitches, THEN they can play competitive since from then it's just a question of skill.

Fair play should not be in question here, it can only be defined as playing the game as it is available to everyone.

I personally haven't used any glitch to win since 2008, I find it very annoying when others glitch too. However, if that's how they want to play and they are not cheating then so be it, I ignore it or find a room. It doesn't matter what Nintendo's intentions are, like Tock says everyone is able to learn glitches as well as any other skill in this game. It really only comes down to personal preference on how you want to complete the race. If someone is playing legit then they shouldn't be kicked from playing.

eN-t schrieb:

I will stick to my opinion for the glitched Wii Bowser Castle shortcut through the ceiling, I guess. That is heavily glitched and shouldn't be part of any competitive play nor fun play.

But as I said, I probably can't be bothered to watch out for people using that. I bet I wouldn't even notice. So there's no real sense in banning that one and kicking players for it I guess.

I put your most ridiculous sentence in bold.. why can you decide how people can have fun?

This is the problem. It's not yours or anyone else's decision to say how you are allowed to play in public Worldwide if they are playing legit. Different communities and levels have completely different idea's on what is fair and fun. Japanese banned BC glitch in competitive play (war/tourney), when Westerners allowed it. Someone who wants to have fun and do some tricks with his friends is different from someone who is striving to be the best racer and doesn't want to glitch and actually knows/cares about a community's 'fair racing' guidelines. Rules for what's not allowed should stay in actual competitive situations like organised rooms or tournaments, and participants can agree to them in order to play.
      A general moderator discussion:
      * About glitching
      Please stay here for specific glitches.

WIT: Wiimms ISO Tools
      Verwaltet Plain ISO, WDF, WIA, CISO, WBFS, FST: kann Extrahieren, Erstellen, Patchen, Mischen und Überprüfen

SZS: Wiimms SZS Tools
      Verwaltet SZS-, BRRES-, U8-, BMG-, BREFT-Dateien uvm.

PN ohne persönlichen Charakter werden ignoriert. Support-Anfragen gehören ins Forum.