Mario Kart Wii Cheater Blocking/Detection System - "Ignorance is Bliss"

Mario Kart Wii Cheater Blocking/Detection System - "Ignorance is Bliss"

Reasonably recently, I've been working on a means to detect and block cheaters during games on Mario Kart Wii, and would like to discuss the allowability of the method during Worldwide and Regional races.

The system is somewhat like an in-game version of mkw-ana, but not nearly as advanced. It looks out for players who are either sending impossible commands, or using items that they don't have, or similar. If it encounters one of these players, and gathers enough evidence to suspect cheating, it performs three commands:

1 - Stops the opponent from being able to use items on your Wii
      2 - Stops the opponent from being able to collide with you
      3 - Makes the opponent finish in last place no matter what they actually did

There is a lag threshold built in to attempt to prevent false positives during laggy race conditions. I've not seen it return a false positive yet, and it has been used in rooms with 12 players many times.

If it ever does return a false positive, it will only affect one race, as the system automatically resets between races.

The system is basically ready for usage, but I'd like to discuss the fairness of using it during Worldwide and Regional races. The system is designed to stop a cheater from interfering with a race; and yes, if everyone in the room was running this system, it would do exactly that, and the cheater could do nothing good. But, that doesn't take into account people who are NOT using the system. Automatically, by running the system, in a hacked race, you get an advantage over those who aren't, because they'll still be able to see the hacked items and race positions, which is not fair. But you can also argue that a hacked race is not fair to begin with.

As far as I can see, here are the advantages/disadvantages:

Advantages of using the sytem:

- Hackers have less incentive to cheat in races if they know that players won't be affected
      - Hackers can't hit players who are using the system or interact with them, or beat them
      - Hackers may be distracted by the people who have this system (WHY CANT I HIT THESE PPL) and leave the people who don't have it alone
      - It can be made into a GCT or an expansion to patchers making it fairly easy to obtain
      - Those who have it don't have to worry about hackers as much
      - A false positive only lasts one race
      - If everyone in the room has it, the cheater's existence is completely pointless
      - A hacked race isn't fair in the first place, so arguing it's unfair to those who don't have this system is a little strange

Disadvantages:

- My main concern is that those who don't have it are automatically disadvantaged because they still have to put up with hacked items and race positions
      - To make it widespread, a lot of patchers would have to be updated and games repatched
      - A false positive would severely disadvantage the player who was ruled as a cheater until the race ends
      - A lone person running this system in the presence of a hacker may also look like a hacker
      - Hackers will invent stronger codes to break this (but it would still slow them down)

It's also possible to have the system switched such that it only makes a hacker finish in last place but doesn't remove their items and collisions, which may generate fairer races for those who don't have the system.

Advantages:

- It's an even playing field during the race for those who do and don't have the system, but those who have it aren't affected if the hacker beats them
      - FTW hackers won't have the slightest idea that their actions are having no impact on the races
      - Can be made into a GCT, or expansion to patchers
      - Those who have it can ignore hackers who just shroom or bullet away at the start line and are never seen again, as they will not win
      - A false poitive only lasts one race, and doesn't affect the player's racing ability during that time, just their final result (but not on their own Wii)

Disadvantages:

- Most hackers aren't trying to win the races, just disrupt them. This system would not help with that. If a hacker loses anyway, there's no point to forcing them into last place
      - The hackers that spam items are arguably more of a problem than those that simply race off and try to win
      - There is no incentive for cheaters to stop cheating, they still can affect the races just as much as they always could
      - You could STILL argue it's unfair that players without the system are disadvantaged, but I think that's flimsy at best
      - A hacker could relentlessly target someone and there's nothing they or this system could do to stop it
      - To make it widespread, a lot of patchers would have to be updated and games repatched
      - Even if everyone in the room had the system, the hacker could still do as they please

Or, of course, it is possible not to use the system at all. And that's why I'm here, to have a discussion and hopefully reach a proper verdict as to whether releasing this is a good idea or not. Regardless, I do plan to implement it on CTGP's CTWW and Countdown modes, where I can guarantee everyone will run the system, and as an option for private rooms too. But I reckon there are many advantages to a Worldwide/Regional version as well.

A video demonstration:

Note: This video will be loaded from YouTube, which causes some data, including but not limited to your IP, User Agent and Referrer, to be sent to YouTube servers. For more information see the Privacy Policy. By pressing the "play" button you automatically enable embedding YouTube videos for the future.

Hinweis: Dieses Video wird von YouTube geladen. Dabei werden einige Daten, unter anderem Ihre IP, Ihr User Agent und der Referrer an YouTube-Server gesendet. Für weitere Details lesen Sie bitte die Datenschutzerklärung. Wenn Sie den Play-Button anklicken, erlauben Sie damit automatisch das Einbinden von YouTube-Videos für die Zukunft.

Let me know your thoughts!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von MrBean35000vr ()

If your system can detect and label someone as the hacker and is as accurate as you say, is there a way to just disconnect them from the room? Majority of WW's or rooms will have someone who is using CTGP as method to connect to Wiimmfi, so others can be covered by their presence. It can be included as a mandatory CTGP update before connecting, whereas new patchers require more effort/awareness (of course have this option available in an updated patch).

akuma schrieb:

If your system can detect and label someone as the hacker and is as accurate as you say, is there a way to just disconnect them from the room? Majority of WW's or rooms will have someone who is using CTGP as method to connect to Wiimmfi, so others can be covered by their presence. It can be included as a mandatory CTGP update before connecting, whereas new patchers require more effort/awareness (of course have this option available in an updated patch).

In theory, if the player who has the cheater blocking is the host, they could shake off the hacking client. It's been proven before that if a host deliberately firewalls the IP of one of the racers playing with them, that racer does disconnect from the race, so something like that is possible.
      I've been wanting this a while now I vote yes on this and if people aren't running it, it's their responsibility to update the patcher
      Using Riivolution and want access to Wiimmfi?

Download the NEW Wiimmfi Riivoluton LATE 2017 Update!

FYI I use mkw-ana anytime I go on Mario Kart Wii. If you need a dump about a specific ban to analyze it please pm me the date since that's how I name my files (yyyy-mm-dd.eth)
      @MrBean35000vr: When you say, the detection system is a cheat code, how is it possible to integrate it into an ISO patcher? Using the CT-CODE-extension?

Using CT-CODE in the Wiimmfi Patcher is not a good idea, because it will break the distributions which already use CTCODE on their own.

Or do you have another way to include cheatcodes in an ISO? if so, please tell me via PN, because that would be helpful for a lot of other things :!:

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

My only concern is that I do not want this to be abusable. If there's code to "ignore" any collisions and items from other players, hackers might use that to gain an advantage and that would be hard to find out, wouldn't out?

Basically, if it's possible to create a Wii channel like the CTGP-Channel that automatically does this and does not run on Dolphin, but Wiimmfi requires this to work, it would be the best thing ever. No more Dolphin :love:

hehe
      Was?Info
      ModellStandard (weiß, Release-Day)
      Zubehörinterne 500GB HDD, SDHC 32GB, LAN-Adapter, 128MB MemoryCard
      Wi-Fi SpieleWiimm's MKW Fun, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, ...

Was?Info
      ModellPremium (schwarz, Release-Day)
      Zubehör500GB 2,5" HDD (schwarz), SDHC 32GB
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing (S&ASRT), ...

Was?Info
      Modell3DS XL (blau-schwarz)
      ZubehörSuperCard DSTwo, 4GB SDHC
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 7, ...

Was?Code / ID
      Wiimm's MKW-Fun0904-9558-6482
      Nintendo Network IDEnting
      Nintendo 3DS5455-9634-9827

Danke an feeder für meinen tollen Avatar!
      I agree with Leseratte we want to support as many methods of loading Wiimmfi some people even have broken disc drives and don't want to spend the extra money to get it fixed

I on the other hand have a working disc but usually leave my Wii on therefore taking stress off the disc drive

I do agree that Dolphin should be stopped, but the truth is, nothing can truly be.

FYI I use mkw-ana anytime I go on Mario Kart Wii. If you need a dump about a specific ban to analyze it please pm me the date since that's how I name my files (yyyy-mm-dd.eth)
      In theory, there are ways to distinguish if a console is a real console or Dolphin.

But if Wiimmfi would lock out Dolphin, the Dolphin devs will be able to correct the only differences instantly and then there would be no way to idenfity Dolphin ...

Leseratte schrieb:

In theory, there are ways to distinguish if a console is a real console or Dolphin.

But if Wiimmfi would lock out Dolphin, the Dolphin devs will be able to correct the only differences instantly and then there would be no way to idenfity Dolphin ...

and that difference is?

The difference is obvious hacks ;)
      Was?Info
      ModellStandard (weiß, Release-Day)
      Zubehörinterne 500GB HDD, SDHC 32GB, LAN-Adapter, 128MB MemoryCard
      Wi-Fi SpieleWiimm's MKW Fun, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, ...

Was?Info
      ModellPremium (schwarz, Release-Day)
      Zubehör500GB 2,5" HDD (schwarz), SDHC 32GB
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing (S&ASRT), ...

Was?Info
      Modell3DS XL (blau-schwarz)
      ZubehörSuperCard DSTwo, 4GB SDHC
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 7, ...

Was?Code / ID
      Wiimm's MKW-Fun0904-9558-6482
      Nintendo Network IDEnting
      Nintendo 3DS5455-9634-9827

Danke an feeder für meinen tollen Avatar!

Leseratte schrieb:

@MrBean35000vr: When you say, the detection system is a cheat code, how is it possible to integrate it into an ISO patcher? Using the CT-CODE-extension?

Using CT-CODE in the Wiimmfi Patcher is not a good idea, because it will break the distributions which already use CTCODE on their own.

Or do you have another way to include cheatcodes in an ISO? if so, please tell me via PN, because that would be helpful for a lot of other things :!:

CT-CODE is by far the easiest way of doing it since it's a decent, already established way of loading additional ASM, but I'll consult with Chadderz because I'm sure there's more than one way to get the job done. If we think of something clever, I'll let you know.

MrBean35000vr schrieb:

If we think of something clever, I'll let you know.
      That would be great.

I just made a cheat code which executes another cheatcode if the player's vehicle is at a specific KCL flag.
      If it would be possible to include this inside the game (without needing to spend lots of hours to rewrite it to the ctcode mod format), this would allow us for example to change the gravity for water or air sections - just as in MK8.

But IIRC, it is not even possible to "translate" a type-28-cheatcode to the ctcode mod format because this isn't a static modification?

Just an idea: Wouldn't it be possible to move the main.dol from an ISO to "main2.dol" (for example), and add an own "main.dol" which just boots the main2.dol with specific cheats (forced) loaded from a GCT file in the ISO?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

MrBean35000vr schrieb:

It's also possible to have the system switched such that it only makes a hacker finish in last place but doesn't remove their items and collisions, which may generate fairer races for those who don't have the system.

Honestly, this doesn't make much sense. The problem with hackers is that they're disruptive, not that they steal VR (well the VR thing is an issue but most of them actually give away VR so it's kind of a moot point). Allowing them to still attack the player means they're still just as effective as they were before. Even if you argue fairness to players without the anti-cheat, in a hacker race no-one has a fair chance. However, if two people both have anti-cheat, the two of them can race fairly. Two players racing fairly is better than none. The fact that the other players are at a disadvantage does seem to be a big problem, but with a hacker in the room they were already disadvantaged, we might as well let as many players race fairly as possible.

The whole idea of the anticheat system giving people an advantage seems kinda silly really, given that all it does is allows racers to race normally, and in an ideal situation, everyone would be running it eventually, rendering the hacker useless. People without the anti-cheat can always quickly disconnect when the hacker appears, they'll probably not keep hacking long when they realize everyone's immune. :P
      The thing is, in a world full of hackers it's every man for himself it's up to everyone if they want to be protected from hackers or not