Question About Banning

Question About Banning

I was wondering, If wiimmfi can iP ban people? I know there is this program which works on Dolphin, called WiimmfiUnbanner.exe and it gets rid of error 23915 on Dolphin without using a real wii NAND. Arian Kordi, who has been banned from wiimmfi on his real wii wants to use this program for cheating as he was banned for using item cheats. Would it be possible to patch/block WiimmfiUnbanner.exe from working? Thanks! :)
      No clue how you want to ban that tool, but that shows me that you have basically no clue of how this stuff works (sorry).

No, it is not possible to simply ban such a tool or someone who uses it. Otherwise that would've been done already. Wiimm and Leseratte aren't stupid, after all.
      No, IP bans are not effective and not the way to go. IP adresses are NOT static, you can get a new IP from your ISP by just asking even if you have a contract with a static IP. Given that there are ISPs and countries where dynamic IPs are the default (like Germany, where Wiimmfi is hosted and where Wiimm and Leseratte come from), banning IPs would be dumb as the hacker just resets his router to get a new IP (and/or gets a new IP ever 24h anyway) and someone else might end up getting the hackers IP after that. Such a ban would be as ineffective as a simple kick. And at this point, I didn't even mention all the possible ways to hide and change your IP...

Trust me, when it comes to banning hackers without banning innocent players aswell, Wiimmfi does the best possible job already. People doubt that sometimes but yet fail to come up with a better solution or valid suggestions on how to improve it.
      Was?Info
      ModellStandard (weiß, Release-Day)
      Zubehörinterne 500GB HDD, SDHC 32GB, LAN-Adapter, 128MB MemoryCard
      Wi-Fi SpieleWiimm's MKW Fun, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, ...

Was?Info
      ModellPremium (schwarz, Release-Day)
      Zubehör500GB 2,5" HDD (schwarz), SDHC 32GB
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing (S&ASRT), ...

Was?Info
      Modell3DS XL (blau-schwarz)
      ZubehörSuperCard DSTwo, 4GB SDHC
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 7, ...

Was?Code / ID
      Wiimm's MKW-Fun0904-9558-6482
      Nintendo Network IDEnting
      Nintendo 3DS5455-9634-9827

Danke an feeder für meinen tollen Avatar!
      Hmm... I guess we could tell Wiimm about the Unban app and He see what we could possibly do to block it and speaking of blocking stuff out of the server. The Dolphin can not be blocked, we could block it, but the developers would the update the Dolphin and the server wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Dolphin and the real Wii.
      whoever disliked my post..... yeah not even going to go there. The point I'm trying to make is, Wiimm is banning IP addresses (thats mostly what 23917 is)

The reality is no ban system is perfect and the people that hack (like 11 year olds) won't know how to get around it, but then you have smart people who know how ban systems work. The only way I can think of to keep things fair on the server is to go the route of a loader (much like CTGPR) but that would mean people will have to sacrifice their ISO's and maybe not everyone has working disc drives.

Also for the record, Wiimm doesn't "hate me". I'm sure if he hated me I would have been banned a long time ago :p
      Using Riivolution and want access to Wiimmfi?

Download the NEW Wiimmfi Riivoluton LATE 2017 Update!

FYI I use mkw-ana anytime I go on Mario Kart Wii. If you need a dump about a specific ban to analyze it please pm me the date since that's how I name my files (yyyy-mm-dd.eth)
      @BeanJr I 'dislike' your post because you constantly keep rambling about stuff matter of factly even though you have no insight whatsoever. Most of the time you are either wrong or highly misleading. Not that I really care, and nobody is interested in correcting you as the details of the implementation are kept secret for a purpose that should be obvious, but the amount of it is really annoying.

datschge schrieb:

@BeanJr I 'dislike' your post because you constantly keep rambling about stuff matter of factly even though you have no insight whatsoever. Most of the time you are either wrong or highly misleading. Not that I really care, and nobody is interested in correcting you as the details of the implementation are kept secret for a purpose that should be obvious, but the amount of it is really annoying.

Understandable, I admit I'm not a professional at knowing everything there is to know, and I also understand its the Wiimmfi team's job to deny or acknowledge any information about the ban system. My post above is sound, and logical. If it would make you (and everyone else) happier, I'll remove it (as it contains "private" information)

FYI I use mkw-ana anytime I go on Mario Kart Wii. If you need a dump about a specific ban to analyze it please pm me the date since that's how I name my files (yyyy-mm-dd.eth)
      If you want a "thing" that can be started with an USB loader, it has to be an ISO.

Many people (including Wiimm and me) like ISO patchers and USB-Loaders, so I doubt Wiimm will remove the support for them.
      A better solution would be to include the "Anti-Cheat-patch" into the ISO and only let people who have this patch connect to Wiimmfi.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

I suppose the server checks the disc for the code in question?

@BeanJr
      The server doesn't have access to the disc (drive) nor the running game filesystem, so I don't think it is possible this way. IMO, it could involving special requests of some sort during the login process or somewhere during the online mode. Anyway, even if the patch applies protections to prevent cheaters to connect, there will be always ways to bypass them. The main problem here is "how to play with cheaters", not "how to prevent cheaters to play" which are two different things. An "Anti-Cheat" code is a nice breakthrough, but working on a way to prevent cheaters to connect could be a waste of time or very difficult to implement. Plus it has to not break working games, that's why I don't think they'll spend too much of their time on it, unless they've a genius idea for that.
      @Sepalani I see what you mean. In fact when I released my initial Wiimm-Fi pack I purposely included the CTGPR cheat blocking system (little did I know I also forgot to remove the MAC changer) so that pack was ruined. Even if I made my CTGP cheat security tutorial unlisted I'm sure someone would have leaked the steps to circumvent it. I admit the CTGPR cheat block back then prevented a lot of hackers from entering CTWW, but thanks to Chadderz that block is pointless (unless you're computer-illitterate and don't know how to hex edit) I could still re-release the pack (with the ban problems removed) and a few other fixes/touchups.