How to use Wiimmfi

How to use Wiimmfi

Wiimmfi Guide

So you want to continue to play Nintendo Wi-fi Connection games online? Well, guess what, you can with our custom server!

Before you read this guide, you should see here if the game you want to play has been added to our server. If it isn’t, then the game cannot be played on the server. You are free to create a game definition files to enable games for testing, though.

The list also has a game's status. Since Wiimmfi cannot recreate the WFC completely, there will be some problems with some games. (for example Brawl's spectate mode doesn't work) This also unfortunately means that if a game does not work at all, there's little that can be done about it (in most cases)

Table of Contents (Navigate with Ctrl+F)
      1. Wii games
      1a. MKW Competitions
      2. WiiWare games
      3. WiiConnect24
      4. DS games
      5. DSiWare games
      6. OPENHOST
      7. Error codes
      8. Frequently Asked/Miscellaneous Questions

1. Wii games:

Prerequisites:
      A Wii/Wii U
      The Homebrew Channel
      Some games to play online(obviously!)

If you don’t have the HBC installed on your Wii, then don’t worry, because it is easy to hack into the Wii and install it.

Note: I do not take any responsibility for any damage you may cause to your Wii/Wii U during this process. If something really bad happens like a black brick, then it’s your fault. Modding your console this way will also void your warranty with Nintendo, if you care about that. If you really don't feel comfortable during this installation process then scroll down all the way to the bottom of this section.

If you have a 4.3 Wii (You can check what version you’re on in the Wii system settings), then I recommend Letterbomb. It is extremely easy to use. Follow the steps on the Wiibrew wiki, and you should be good to go. If you’re on a lower version, then you could try Bannerbomb. I don’t have any experience with Bannerbomb however so I cannot give any support if you decide to use that exploit and if it doesn’t work.

However, if you only have a Wii U, then Letterbomb is a no go, because Nintendo patched it out. There are exploits for specific Wii games that still work on the Wii U, so you’ll have to use one of those. You can see here which games can be used to exploit the console. I have only had personal experience with Smash Stack so I know that 100% works but I don’t know about the other games since I do not own them.

So anyway, once you’ve picked an exploit and ran it, you should be in an installer menu thing. If you’re on a Wii then you should install the HBC and Bootmii(can be useful for recovery). However if you’re on a Wii U then you can’t use Bootmii, so I advise you to be very careful when doing stuff on your console.

After you’ve installed the HBC and exited out of the installer, there you go! Your console is now capable of running homebrew apps.

Now, you may ask: “What do I do now? How do I get online to Wiimmfi?”

Well, there’s quite a few ways. The simplest and fastest way, for physical Wii games, is to use MrBean35000vr's Wiimmfi patcher. The folder inside the zip should go into SD:/apps/, and the bsslug folder should go onto the root( SD:/ ). All this app does is patch the URL’s to connect to the Wiimmfi server instead of Gamespy’s, so it still says “Nintendo WFC.” It works, though. If you just want to play online and don’t really care about what the game says, then you should use this. Please remember that this patch isn't permanent because the Wii cannot write files to the game disc, so you will have to run it every time you want to play online.

For ISO’s, if you don’t have a working disc drive, you can use this patcher. (If you want to patch MKW then use this one instead) When you have your patched ISO, you can run it in any USB loader app for the Wii/Wii U.

You can also try using USB Loader GX’s patching option. In it’s settings for each game it should have an option to patch for Wiimmfi. (note this does not work on WiiWare titles, at the time this guide was written. It’s also similar to MrBean’s patcher in the way that it only patches the URL’s, so it’ll still say Nintendo WFC.)

If you want to use Riivolution, then you have to use WiiScrubber on an already Wiimmfi patched ISO. Look for “main.dol” and extract it. Then, get/make a template for your game and use the patched main.dol.

If you’re a Dolphin user… Now I don’t really have much to say here considering how people have used Dolphin in the past, but if you own a real Wii and want to play on Dolphin, you can use this guide to get the emulator setup for online play.

There's one more way to play online, but you have to have a 4.3 Wii and MrBean's patcher(linked above). You can use Letterbomb to run the patcher instead of the HBC installer, if you feel that installing things like the HBC is too dangerous. Put the bslug folder on the root of the sd card, along with the patcher's boot.dol. I don't really recommend using this method to play online as it makes running homebrew apps a more difficult task than it has to be.

1a. MKW Competitions:

The Wiimmfi team had been working to make competitions work since the WFC shutdown, and they are playable right now! If you want to play, click this link and follow the instructions. You can discuss the current competition, competitions bugs, etc. here.

Note: Competitions do not work on Dolphin, because WiiConnect24 doesn't work on the emulator.

2. WiiWare games:

Prerequisites:
      WiiWare patcher
      NDS decompressors (specifically lzx.exe)
      ShowMiiWads
      Bluedump
      YAWMM (if you don't have a WAD installer already)

I’m sure your Wii/Wii U already has the HBC at this point. If it isn’t, go back in this tutorial and see how.

Anyway, run Bluedump on your console and extract the title that you want to play online. Then, take the WAD file and go onto your PC. Open ShowMiiWads, and add the directory where the WAD is. Then go to Tools > Create Common-Key and type in whatever it asks for. Right click the WAD, and extract it to a folder somewhere.

In this new folder, you should see a bunch of .app files. Drag the WiiWare patcher and lzx.exe into this folder, and run the WiiWare patcher. If your PC detects something wrong with the patcher, ignore it and run it anyway.

Now, for this part, you need to listen carefully to what the patcher says. When it opens it should ask to decompress or not. If you don’t know which one to choose then pick “yes.”

If it gives an error - DO NOT tell it to recompress the files after the URL patching is done.

If it progresses like normal - Tell it to recompress the file after it has patched the URL’s.

Now, it’s done. Go back to ShowMiiWads, Tools > Pack WAD. Select the folder with all the .app files and recompress it back into a WAD.

Take the patched WAD and go back to the console. Go into your data settings, and then channels. Erase the game that you want to play online. (Don't erase your saves if you want to keep that, obviously) Then open the HBC and load YAWMM or your WAD installer of choice. Install the patched WAD.

You can also run the patched WAD in Dolphin. To actually go online, however, you must make sure that your Dolphin is configured for online play. You can look at this guide to see how.

3. WiiConnect24:

You might be wondering if Wiimmfi has some sort of WC24 replacement. Well, not exactly, but there are a team of people that have been working on a WC24 replacement called RiiConnect24. It’s been in development for quite a while now, and they need as much help and support as possible to get some channels working. If you have the desire to use WC24 again, click on the link and follow the instructions on how to use their services.

Note: RC24 is fully compatible with Wiimmfi, so you can set the RC24 DNS and still connect to Wiimmfi.

4. DS games:

Prerequisites:
      An Action Replay/Flashcart

There are only two ways to play NDS games online, at the time this guide was written. Both of these ways also require a Windows computer because both programs used for these methods are Windows programs. I have no idea if it'll work on a Mac or Linux with some programs that can run Windows .exe files on them, but to be safe you should use Windows.

1. Use cheat codes.
      Download WFCReplay. You also need the ROM of the game that you want to play online. I do not condone piracy however, so you’re on your own for finding it. When you have it, load the ROM into WFCReplay. It should give you a cheat code that you can use on an Action Replay to go online. So add the cheat code to the game, and when you’re in the game, go into your Nintendo WFC configuration and set your DNS settings to 46.4.79.141.

2. Directly patch the game for use on our servers.
      Download WFCPatcher. You also need the ROM of the game (again) and I will not assist you in this matter (again). When you have the ROM, put it into the same folder as the patcher and name it something short and simple(ex. “MKDS.nds”). Hold down left shift and right click in the folder, then click on “Open command window here…”

Then, type in “WfcPatcher.exe -d wiimmfi.de (romname).nds” (without quotes) It should give you a patched ROM which you can run on a flashcart to play online.

5. DSiWare games:

There is no known way to patch DSiWare games at the time this guide was written. With 3DS homebrew evolving a way should be possible at some point.

6. OPENHOST:

If you identify your console on the server, you get a special feature called OPENHOST. Basically, it allows people to join a host's game while the host doesn't have to add anyone. This is useful if your friend list is filled, you don't like clutter, or if you just want it on.

To identify your console, you need to have an account on this board. When you've registered, go and login to the Wiimmfi website(same username and password with Wii-Homebrew), click on identify a console, and while online with one of your profiles, enter in the friend code of that profile into the form.

Then, click on "OPENHOST," and set the profile you want to enable OPENHOST with to "Blacklist."

However, OPENHOST only works on certain games, it depends on if the game checks if the joining person is in the host's roster. It should say if it works or not. If it doesn't, then you shouldn't be able to enable it for that game. If a game's OPENHOST status is unknown, and you want to test it, then please tell us the results!

To recap and clarify, the person hosting the game has to have OPENHOST enabled, if they want this special feature. Then anyone that adds them can join the game that they are hosting, regardless if the host has added them or not.

7. Error codes

There are a few error codes you may get when first connecting. Here they are:

23889/23887 - Your (Wii) console has been registered on our servers. However, there is a seven day waiting period before you can actually go online and play. It might suck at first, but please keep in mind that this system is in place to keep cheaters out. If we didn’t have this, then the server wouldn’t exactly be enjoyable with cheaters everywhere. Please note that this seven day wait is only for Mario Kart Wii, so if you’re waiting, you can go online for other games while you wait to play on MKW.

60000 - This one means “Friend code not recognized.” If you played online on the WFC, but didn’t retrieve your friend code information in time back in May 2014 for use on our servers, then you would get this on connect.

There are two ways to solve this:
      1. Get a new friend code by creating a new save/deleting your old one. I’m sure that this way isn’t exactly preferable for anyone, though.
      2. Use the Clear Profile ID cheat code. What this does is basically delete your friend code, but things like your online stats will remain. When you've used this, all you have to do is connect online and you'll get a new friend code. This is only for MKW at the moment, so if you get this for other games then you'll have to resort to method 1.
      There used to be other methods to fix error code 60000, but due to abuse of said methods, they are no longer available. Click here for more information.

Some error codes you may get while connected to the server:

86420 - This error code means something along the lines of "failed to communicate properly with the other players." The solution for this would be to set a DMZ on your console. DMZ is a setting in (most) routers that can open all the ports on one device, to ensure that there are few connection problems. For help on setting this up, click here to see an official guide by Nintendo.

80430 - This error code is similar to 86420, in the way that the joining person is having some communication problems. You would get this error code when trying to join a friend room, but it fails.

For more error codes, click here to see a compiled list.

8. Frequently Asked/Miscellaneous Questions:

Q: Is it legal to host a custom server like this?
      A: Yes, in Germany at least, where Wiimmfi is being hosted.

Q: Riivolution flashes and goes back to the system menu when I try to use a patched main.dol. What’s wrong?
      A: Riivolution can be a little weird with main.dol for some reason. It should work after a few tries. You can also use USB Loader GX to use the patched main.dol.

Q: How do I fix error code 60000?
      A: See above, section 7.

More may be added to this guide as time goes on.
      Friend Codes(Be sure to tell me that you've added me so I can add you back):
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:
      Mario Kart Wii: 2366-7332-2898
      Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 5243-2582-8369
      Fortune Street: 4772-0893-9264
      Animal Crossing City Folk/Let's go to the City: 4988-1638-6337 (Name: NFan Town:NinLand)

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 37 mal editiert, zuletzt von NintendoFan ()

Just a few notes:
      - after patching the wbfs with the Wiimmfi patcher and having a new, patched wbfs file in the "wiimmfi-images" folder, you might as well just use the Wii Backup Manager to put this wbfs file back onto your USB flash drive. The Wii with USB Loader GX will play this just fine, assuming you softmodded it according to this forum's guides and have cIOS 249.
      - afaik you don't need to convert to iso, just use WIT to extract that one file, in case you want to use Riivolution
      - the USB Loader GX comes with an option to patch games for Wiimmfi automatically, even though I never tested it myself, but I assume it would work just fine

--> if you want to patch MKW, you should use the specific MKW Wiimmfi patcher as it applies other important changes than just the Wiimmfi server patches
      Was?Info
      ModellStandard (weiß, Release-Day)
      Zubehörinterne 500GB HDD, SDHC 32GB, LAN-Adapter, 128MB MemoryCard
      Wi-Fi SpieleWiimm's MKW Fun, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, ...

Was?Info
      ModellPremium (schwarz, Release-Day)
      Zubehör500GB 2,5" HDD (schwarz), SDHC 32GB
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing (S&ASRT), ...

Was?Info
      Modell3DS XL (blau-schwarz)
      ZubehörSuperCard DSTwo, 4GB SDHC
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 7, ...

Was?Code / ID
      Wiimm's MKW-Fun0904-9558-6482
      Nintendo Network IDEnting
      Nintendo 3DS5455-9634-9827

Danke an feeder für meinen tollen Avatar!

eN-t schrieb:

- the USB Loader GX comes with an option to patch games for Wiimmfi automatically, even though I never tested it myself, but I assume it would work just fine
      It does work for basic online playing, but it does not patch texts, does not patch the VR search range, does not patch the ghost data adresses, ...

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Leseratte schrieb:

eN-t schrieb:

It does work for basic online playing, but it does not patch texts, does not patch the VR search range, does not patch the ghost data adresses, ...
      I know, which is why I mentioned these things ("other important changes") in my last sentence. NintendoFan doesn't link the MKW Wiimmfi patcher either, and Mr. Bean's patcher doesn't do this either I assume? (I never used any of these tools other than the MKW Wiimmfi patcher back in 2014, so things might have changed...)
      Was?Info
      ModellStandard (weiß, Release-Day)
      Zubehörinterne 500GB HDD, SDHC 32GB, LAN-Adapter, 128MB MemoryCard
      Wi-Fi SpieleWiimm's MKW Fun, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, ...

Was?Info
      ModellPremium (schwarz, Release-Day)
      Zubehör500GB 2,5" HDD (schwarz), SDHC 32GB
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Sonic Racing (S&ASRT), ...

Was?Info
      Modell3DS XL (blau-schwarz)
      ZubehörSuperCard DSTwo, 4GB SDHC
      Wi-Fi SpieleMario Kart 7, ...

Was?Code / ID
      Wiimm's MKW-Fun0904-9558-6482
      Nintendo Network IDEnting
      Nintendo 3DS5455-9634-9827

Danke an feeder für meinen tollen Avatar!
      @eN-t I had written the guide very late at night, I am going to link the MKW specific patcher and add a couple of more things.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:
      Animal Crossing City Folk/Let's go to the City: 4988-1638-6337 (Name: NFan Town:NinLand)

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      Few things:
      To extract a (patched) main.dol from a WBFS/ISO, just do:

Quellcode

1. wit extract RMCX01.wbfs ./MKW/ --files +main.dol --flat
      Where X = E/P/J/K (US/EU+Australia/Japan/Korea.
      If it has game AND update partitions, remember it's in the sys folder and will have wiimmfi text in it.

Also, you could link my RiiFS server (It has PAL/NTSC-J right now, need to get my correct DOL files for NTSC-U again.

I currently host the DLS1, GAMESTATS, and Peerchat server for Wiimmfi. if you have any issues with leaderboards (excluding MKW!), Mystery Gifts or other in-game downloadables, or Pokémon Wi-Fi Plaza, I can try to help!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Billy549 ()

add --flat to keep the output dir flat.

WIT: Wiimms ISO Tools
      Verwaltet Plain ISO, WDF, WIA, CISO, WBFS, FST: kann Extrahieren, Erstellen, Patchen, Mischen und Überprüfen

SZS: Wiimms SZS Tools
      Verwaltet SZS-, BRRES-, U8-, BMG-, BREFT-Dateien uvm.

PN ohne persönlichen Charakter werden ignoriert. Support-Anfragen gehören ins Forum.
      About Dolphin:

We don't like Dolphin for the reasons before mentioned but if you insist Here is the tutorial explaining how to set up Dolphin for Wiimmfi.

NOTICE, VERY IMPORTANT!: You MUST have Dolphin running MKW in 60 FPS, ALWAYS 60FPS!, if not, your time will count slower than the other players, and when the race ends, you will get the first pos because ''your time is better'' than the others, and if it happens, you will get banned (temporary or permanent). You are not safe in battles either.
      My english is bad... Sorry for that :wacko:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von ventord ()

@MrBean35000vr Could you please link this in your video? I'm sure a lot of people will be helped, because a lot of people asked what 60000 meant when you said it(or at least said what it meant in the description) in the video :P

Also, this tutorial teaches you how to pacth DS and WiiWare games, while your video only teaches how to do it for Wii games.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      I've updated the tutorial with a way of patching and playing DSiWare, but this is not fully tested by me yet, so if you encounter any issues with the patching process, let me know and I'll try my best to help you out.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      Hey guys - I decided to give the guide a complete rewrite, and what you see in the OP now is what I did. (and that's still not the final version!) There are some things that I felt weren't explained clearly and some things have changed since then which made some parts of the guide obsolete. If you have anything to suggest to make the guide better, just tell me and I'll add it. :)
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      I haven't seen the previous guide before but I can say that this guide has been (re)written really well, everything is understandable and I am sure new viewers can easily set their console up with this. Well done, NintendoFan.
      Disclaimer: The image below is my forum signature and has no correlation to my original message or response.

A video tutorial would be nice, but I don't have a capture card for a Wii and a DS, so the quality would look like crap if I used my camera.

Maybe sometime later in the future, but who knows. *shrug*
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      That's true. But I would only be able to make a video for WiiWare games in that case, because I cannot get Wii games to run at a constant 60fps due to my crap PC.

*shrug* I guess I'll see what I can do.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*

NintendoFan schrieb:

That's true. But I would only be able to make a video for WiiWare games in that case, because I cannot get Wii games to run at a constant 60fps due to my crap PC.

*shrug* I guess I'll see what I can do.
      I would be able to record Dolphin footage of whatever you'd like to have recorded, but please keep in mind that I don't have the neccesary tools to edit videos properly. I could try using OpenShot video editor however, if you prefer not to have raw footage files.
      Disclaimer: The image below is my forum signature and has no correlation to my original message or response.