Instant Win?

Something weird happened yesterday while I was racing online.

I was racing with 11 others in Worldwide. We were racing in Bowser's Castle. It was the third lap. I was at the part where the Blue Ramps and the Bowser shooting fire when I accidently fell into the lava. I was then 11th. Then after I drove for a second, it said 'the rankings have been decided so the race has ended'. I was shocked why it did that. When it showed the scores, the scoresheet showed that I finished first place, even when I didn't... no one even finished the race... and I was 11th at the time! I got +200 VR for being 'first', and I forget the other people's scores. Then when I did the next race with the exact same people, nothing like that happened!

So my question is... how did I 'win' the race?
      Friend Codes:

Mario Kart Wii: 1079-7439-0579

Animal Crossing City Folk: 2711-8314-9362 (Name: Spryx) (Town Name: Starside)

Just go to my wall and tell me your friend code (for Mario Kart Wii or Animal Crossing City Folk), and we can play together!

Pachii schrieb:

Maybe...
      1. That was lag
      2. Everyone disconnected, or, you had ''Win DC''

That has happend to me because I had ''Win DC'' alot. I don't think that can happen without these two options...
      Thanks for your answer Pachii. No not lag. We were not close to finish line at all. What is Win DC?
      Friend Codes:

Just go to my wall and tell me your friend code (for Mario Kart Wii or Animal Crossing City Folk), and we can play together!

Spryx schrieb:

Pachii schrieb:

Maybe...
      1. That was lag
      2. Everyone disconnected, or, you had ''Win DC''

That has happend to me because I had ''Win DC'' alot. I don't think that can happen without these two options...
      Thanks for your answer Pachii. No not lag. We were not close to finish line at all. What is Win DC?
      Win DC is when everyone disconnects except you, and the game gives you VR because you are the only one in the room, so you get 1st place.

Then idk what happend.
      :3
      This is a form of disconnecting, like others said. Though what Pachii said

Pachii schrieb:

Win DC is when everyone disconnects except you, and the game gives you VR because you are the only one in the room, so you get 1st place.

is not true. If you cut your own internet connection with the Wii (let's say, the Wi-Fi in your house or just your router stopped working for a moment) the game is not informed over you disconnecting with the host. Therefore it assumes the connection is still ongoing, but doesn't receive any packets whatsoever from the host. Therefore, this 'win DC' happens, and you get to have VR essentially for free.

When your connection drops with the host and your game is informed over this, you will disconnect with an error message.

Edit: With the time of you coming back into the match like nothing happened, I assume you disconnected and then connected yet again, and coincidentally the race has ended by the time you pressed 'continue' and you'd connect with the same host again as it is registered to connect with that person still.
      Disclaimer: The image below is my forum signature and has no correlation to my original message or response.

Reboot schrieb:

This is a form of disconnecting, like others said. Though what Pachii said

Pachii schrieb:

is not true. If you cut your own internet connection with the Wii (let's say, the Wi-Fi in your house or just your router stopped working for a moment) the game is not informed over you disconnecting with the host. Therefore it assumes the connection is still ongoing, but doesn't receive any packets whatsoever from the host. Therefore, this 'win DC' happens, and you get to have VR essentially for free.

When your connection drops with the host and your game is informed over this, you will disconnect with an error message.

Edit: With the time of you coming back into the match like nothing happened, I assume you disconnected and then connected yet again, and coincidentally the race has ended by the time you pressed 'continue' and you'd connect with the same host again as it is registered to connect with that person still.
      COOL! :)
      Friend Codes:

It all depends on the situation. Although we do know a lot of Mario Kart Wii in it's technical aspects, it'd yet still be unknown how the game reacts upon lag. I'm sure one client does eg. the 'Win DC', and the other just shows an error message (unless the problem / disconnect is very specific).

I assume Spryx's connection to the host lagged out or dropped and reconnected, yet 'win DC' took place in this scenario.

I've had many disconnects before, I'm trying to monitor how specifically the game reacts, yet it seems to be unpredictable.
      Disclaimer: The image below is my forum signature and has no correlation to my original message or response.