Wiimmfi on a Wii U - for a beginner

Wiimmfi on a Wii U - for a beginner

I have spent hours searching around, but I can't really find the answer to my questions online (or maybe they were there, but they were to advanced for me to understand)

I am wondering if I can get Wiimmfi to work on a Wii U. I think i have found a post that shows how to do it, but it is fairly old so I wonder if there is a better way? Here is the post I am referring to.

Now, if I can do it, thats great! But I am mostly interested in doing this for one game in particular - Bomberman Blast - which is a WiiWare title, and I haven't seen anyone talking about whether or not WiiWare can run on Wiimmfi on a Wii U (I saw someone mention that it hadn't been tested in one of the WiiWare threads on this site... but thats all I've seen)

to recap:
      1. is it possible to get Wiimmfi on Wii u? can somebody give a good breakdown of how to do it without leaving out the painfully obvious basic steps?
      2. If so, Can wiiware games be run on it?

thanks! I've done so much reading... I'm thoroughly impressed by how much work has gone into keeping the Wii online play alive... I hope I can take advantage of it =)
      • Nintendo Network: sloan011
      • Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594
      It is possible to use Wiimmfi on a WiiU (you just need to install the Homebrew Channel using one of the exploit games like SSBB).

The tutorial in your link can be used to install the Homebrew Channel on a WiiU, but none of the methods there can be used to patch WiiWare games to Wiimmfi.

Here is a thread with a discussion on how to patch WiiWare games for Wiimmfi, but I don't know if this works on a WiiU: WiiWare on Wiimmfi

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Thanks! That is actually the same thread that I found and read =)

maybe I should just buy a wii for cheap to make it happen.. i'd hate to screw up my wii U, or go through all the trouble and then not be able to play the games I actually want to play.

but i will hold if in case anybody has experience with my question.. ?
      It should be fine, when I tested a WiiWare title once I was able to install it on my Wii U's vWii with no issue.
      Friend Codes(Be sure to tell me that you've added me so I can add you back):
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:
      Mario Kart Wii: 2366-7332-2898
      Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 5243-2582-8369
      Fortune Street: 4772-0893-9264
      Animal Crossing City Folk/Let's go to the City: 4988-1638-6337 (Name: NFan Town:NinLand)

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*

NintendoFan schrieb:

It should be fine, when I tested a WiiWare title once I was able to install it on my Wii U's vWii with no issue.
      Really??? that is great news!!!

i hate to ask because I know its going to make me look lazy,,, but does anyone care to lay out a step-by-step guide for that process on the Wii U? starting from the beginning? as i've said, i've done a ton of reading, and after all of that i've ended up more confused than before.. and i have no experience with modding wiis....

I would be super grateful! and i'll play old wii games with you online afterwards =)

sloan11 schrieb:

NintendoFan schrieb:

Really??? that is great news!!!
      i hate to ask because I know its going to make me look lazy,,, but does anyone care to lay out a step-by-step guide for that process on the Wii U? starting from the beginning? as i've said, i've done a ton of reading, and after all of that i've ended up more confused than before.. and i have no experience with modding wiis....

I would be super grateful! and i'll play old wii games with you online afterwards =)
      I think this seems like the path I want to take:

1. Have any SD Card (2 GB SanDisk recommended) and make sure it has a lot of space on it. The amount of space you need depends on how you choose to use Wiimmfi; I recommend at least 1 GB of free space. An SDHC card will NOTwork! You also will need a working Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSBB) game disc with a data file that has NO stages in the Stage Builder; it should be empty.

2. Download the exploit known as SmashStack from here: wiiubrew.org/w/images/4/4e/Smashstack.zip

3. Extract the contents of the ZIP to the root of your SD Card (the drive letter).
      *PAL/NTSC-K users must follow these additional steps in this guide:web.archive.org/web/2014032622…zzl.org/smashStackPK.html

3. If you want the Homebrew Channel (HBC) or more, download this file:mediafire.com/download/07mj83x8h0w0f0c/bootmini.elf and this file:mediafire.com/download/v3rhddr6cst34h5/boot(3).elf and put them on the root. Rename the second one toboot.elf

4. Launch SSBB and go to the Stage Builder.

5. After the game spazzes out, which is normal for an exploit, either Riivolution or the HackMii Installer will load (exploits are also what void the warranty so once you do this, you cannot undo it).

6. You're left with two options, you can either:

6 Wait for HackMii installer to determine whether HBC can be installed on your Wii or not. Then Install HBC and then exit the HackMii Installer and go to the vWii Menu.

7. Delete the "RSBX" (E = NTSC-U, P = PAL, J = NTSC-J, K = NTSC-K) folder in the following location on your SD Card: SD Card:\private\wii\title. This contains SmashStack itself and you shouldn't keep an exploit after you've already used it; it's risky.

8. Download the HBC-based Wiimmfi patcher from here:chadsoft.co.uk/downloads/autowiimmfipatcher0.4.zip and extract it to the root of the SD Card.

9. Put your disc in and load HBC, then load the Wiimmfi patcher app (YOU HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO PLAY ONLINE).

Does that sound right for what I want to do? (IDK what the real difference is between this path and the one with Riivolution... so I just chose this one arbitrarily....also, I'm assuming that every time it says to 'download' something I should do that on my PC and transfer to wii via the SD card rather than download on the wii itself?)

Idk how to get wiiware titles to run through Wiimmfi from here, though, and that is my true end goal.
      You have everything right until Step 8, if you don't already have the HBC. Steps 8 and 9 are for physical Wii discs, not WiiWare titles.

Here's what you need to do after you have the HBC installed(copied from my Wiimmfi guide)

NintendoFan schrieb:

Prerequisites:
      WiiWare patcher
      NDS decompressors (specifically lzx.exe)
      ShowMiiWads
      Bluedump
      YAWMM (if you don't have a WAD installer already)

I’m sure your Wii/Wii U already has the HBC at this point. If it isn’t, go back in this tutorial and see how.

Anyway, run Bluedump on your console and extract the title that you want to play online. Then, take the WAD file and go onto your PC. Open ShowMiiWads, and add the directory where the WAD is. Then go to Tools > Create Common-Key and type in whatever it asks for. Right click the WAD, and extract it to a folder somewhere.

In this new folder, you should see a bunch of .app files. Drag the WiiWare patcher and lzx.exe into this folder, and run the WiiWare patcher. If your PC detects something wrong with the patcher, ignore it and run it anyway.

Now, for this part, you need to listen carefully to what the patcher says. When it opens it should ask to decompress or not. If you don’t know which one to choose then pick “yes.”

If it gives an error - DO NOT tell it to recompress the files after the URL patching is done.

If it progresses like normal - Tell it to recompress the file after it has patched the URL’s.

Now, it’s done. Go back to ShowMiiWads, Tools > Pack WAD. Select the folder with all the .app files and recompress it back into a WAD.

Take the patched WAD and go back to the console. Go into your data settings, and then channels. Erase the game that you want to play online. (Don't erase your saves if you want to keep that, obviously) Then open the HBC and load YAWMM or your WAD installer of choice. Install the patched WAD.
      FYI, you don't need to do this every time since after you've patched it the first time, it stays like that since, well, computers have the ability to overwrite data in the .app files, so it'll always connect to Wiimmfi from now on.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:
      Animal Crossing City Folk/Let's go to the City: 4988-1638-6337 (Name: NFan Town:NinLand)

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      thank you!!!! Wow I really appreciate it. Just to confirm, in going to do steps 1-7 on my post and then start with your guide?

And I just thought of an ultra important question that I forgot to ask: will this process prevent me from being able to log in to online games that still have a server? Like will it screw up my wii u games online? Or games like goldeneye for wii that still has active servers?

sloan11 schrieb:

thank you!!!! Wow I really appreciate it. Just to confirm, in going to do steps 1-7 on my post and then start with your guide?

And I just thought of an ultra important question that I forgot to ask: will this process prevent me from being able to log in to online games that still have a server? Like will it screw up my wii u games online? Or games like goldeneye for wii that still has active servers?
      Yes, do steps 1 through 7 in your post and then continue to the instructions in my post.

No, it shouldn't mess up anything like that. Besides, if it still has an active server, there's no current reason to patch it for Wiimmfi.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*

NintendoFan schrieb:

sloan11 schrieb:

Yes, do steps 1 through 7 in your post and then continue to the instructions in my post.
      No, it shouldn't mess up anything like that. Besides, if it still has an active server, there's no current reason to patch it for Wiimmfi.
      awesome.. i just got home with newly acquired SSBB and SD card.. about to give it a shot!!!!

oh my gosh.......

if you want to read something funny, here ya go:

I drove all over town trying to find SSBB and a proper SD card (NOT SDHC..those don't work). I found SSBB at stop #2, but it took 4 stops to find an SD card. I get home, all excited to try it out, but something isn't working?? So i take the SD card out of the wii U, put it back in computer and thats when I notice it says I have over 3 gb of memory available. How is that possible???? I pop out the SD card, and check the packaging... they both say SD, 2 gb (not SDHC). Then I turn the card over to the back (which you cannot see thru the packaging) and i notice it says SDHC in tiny print!!!! I checked amazon, and look what I found!!!!!! Thats the exact same item I have!!!! all those 1 star reviews are from people who bought it and realized the company screwed up!! mislabeled the card hahaahaha it IS and SDHC and it HAS 4 gb... good grief.

this would only happen to me.... (and all those amazon people)

guess i will have to postpone my wiimmfi....
      ok, back to business!

I got to the SSBB part.. my SD card is loaded up, went to stage builder, clicked on the SD card option, and the screen froze and makes a loud buzzing sound.. but nothing happens?? have i done something wrong

false alarm.. i figured that part out.

next step...

ok, next update...

i have gotten blue dump to run on my vWii in HBC. I think i extracted bomberman blast. I dropped it into the ShowMiiWads. I created the common Key. I dropped the Wiimmfi patcher and the lzx into the same folder. I ran the wiimmfi patcher it never asked me anything about compression/decompression?

idk what it did, really.. asked me about encoding for one of the .app files, and then said it was finished

i have a feeling thats not right? what do i do now?
      as a side note, i went ahead and tried the disc-based wiimmfi and I was able to connect with SSBB! very exciting! i noticed that it makes that game play in 4:3 instead of 16:9 for some reason... but i will try to find a solution for that another time! thanks for the help on that part!

now, i'm very close on bomberman blast, but still stuck on the actual wiimmfi patcher part ... what to do....

i went ahead and installed YAWMM and tried to load up the wad anyways, just to check, and it wouldn't load it.. it gave me an error in the YAWMM app.. for the record, i had not yet deleted my original wiiware on the wii, so maybe that plays a role? I want to wait and see what you guys say about my wiimmfi patching before i delete anything..

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von sloan11 ()

sloan11 schrieb:

I ran the wiimmfi patcher it never asked me anything about compression/decompression?
      Are you sure you downloaded v0.3? This is what it shows for me when I open it:

sloan11 schrieb:

i went ahead and installed YAWMM and tried to load up the wad anyways, just to check, and it wouldn't load it.. it gave me an error in the YAWMM app.. for the record, i had not yet deleted my original wiiware on the wii, so maybe that plays a role? I want to wait and see what you guys say about my wiimmfi patching before i delete anything..
      Uh, yeah, you can't really install a game that's already installed on your Wii. :P So you have to "uninstall" it first. The reason why I said to delete the channel in the data settings is that when you uninstall a game via a WAD manager, it deletes the save files.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      mr nintendofan, thank you for your continued support!

attached is a picture of what i get when I run the patcher. i thought that since it didn't ask about compression that i must be doing something wrong? or is that right?

from there, i go back to showmiiwads, go Tools>Pack Wad>Select folder to repack the .apps into a new wad, put that on my SD card at the root, go to channels in my data management on vWii, deleted bomberman blast, open YAWMM on my vWii, click thru questions about ios or whatever that is, and select the new wad for install. but that gives me an error message. something to the effect of: #7 error! -1022

i've read that the -1022 has something to do with hash mismatch or ticketing, blah, blah.. idk.. i'm not even sure about the patching yet so i'm going one step at a time haha.

for the record, i used this version of YAWMM: YAWMM ... [its just coincidence that it is placed in a section that has nothing to do with what we are talking about ;) ]
      Bilder
      • Capture.JPG

24,16 kB, 347×360, 99 mal angesehen
      I think the fix to that is to simply uninstall the WAD via the WAD manager(Yes, you need to click uninstall even if the game isn't installed on your Wii), but if you want to keep your old save file, you need to export it, either in the data management settings or via another homebrew app. Then, when it's uninstalled, try installing it again.

If it still doesn't work, try using this homebrew app instead to install the WAD, which to my knowledge, this one is more compatible with the Wii U's vWii mode.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      i tried hitting uninstall first on all 3 wad managers i have on HBC. unfortunately none of them worked. I tried the manager you just linked and it gave me error "ticket 2011"

did the picture i submitted of the patcher look right?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von sloan11 ()

Yes, if there was something wrong I would've said something about it :P

That aside, I'm not really sure how to fix this issue, since I've never seen it happen before. From what I've found, try using IOS36 when the manager asks which one to use?

edit: to be honest, I'm not really sure I feel comfortable instructing someone to do something I've only done myself once, if you don't want to get into risky territory, you should get an original Wii.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      GUESS WHATTTTTT!!!!!!!!

WE DID IT!!!!!!

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!

I"M online with bomberman!!!!!

one of the best days of my life... i love bomberman and playing with friends =)

This is what I did: I kept getting that ticket error over and over again, then I remembered that the bluedump give you an option for tickets when you first dump the wad. So i redownloaded bomberman from the wii shop, dumped 3 different combination of tickets/wads, and then used the same process you outlined for me... and I used the wad manager you posted last but that didn't work.. so I used the one that I posted from the 'definitive vWii hacking guide', and that one worked!!!! even better, I moved my purchased copy of bomberman to SD card instead of deleting it! Hooray!!!

check out the pic attached to confirm!!!!!!!!! (not that you care lol...but i wanted to see it)

THANK YOU NINTENDOFAN... HONESTLY!!! I mean it,, you were a tremendous help. couldn' t have done it without you!!!

I will have more questions about wiimmfi, like how to find people out there to play games with, and how to get the wiimmfi to display in 16:9 instead of 4:3... but I just want to celebrate this victory for a day without stressing that other stuff...

thanks again NintendoFAn and ......Leserrratte too. now i can help my non-hack knowlegable friends and we can all join you on wiimmfi =)
      Bilder
      • Capture.JPG

33,84 kB, 1.015×110, 102 mal angesehen
      Well, you're welcome. :P

I don't really have much to say now, so I'll go back to lurking. If you need an extra player for Bomberman Blitz though, I'll probably join. :P
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      NintendoFan I never even thought about bomberman on DS.. let's have a talk about that! I don't own a handheld but I was thinking about getting one and this could tip me in that direction..

I searched for your ds wiimmfi thread (because I'm sure you have one) but the one I found looks like it ends before you resolve your connection issue.. so is there another thread somewhere else?

If I could get a 3ds and get bomberman going on wiimmfi I probably would... 3ds are backwards compatible with previous ds iterations in general right ? There are a ton of fun games I know I've missed on nintendo handhelds.. Haven't had one since GBA
      Whoops, I meant Bomberman Blast - I got the titles confused, but to be fair it was kinda late for me when I wrote that post. :P
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      Okay. Well, my friend code is 3141-3282-5642.
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*