Wii's MAC address when using its NAND dump on Dolphin

Wii's MAC address when using its NAND dump on Dolphin

Hello, all.

I recently started playing MKW again after discovering Wiimmfi. I still have my original Wii from 2007 connected to a TV and in good working order but I am a big fan of how Wii games look like when running on Dolphin so that's how I play my Wii games nowadays. In fact, dolphin is the reason why I've come back to revisit some Wii games I never got to play.

Having some experience with Wii homebrew, it wasn't much of a problem to set dolphin up with my Wii's NAND dump and get connected to Wiimmfi. After the 1-week waiting period, I've been playing occasionally without any issues and race placements have been correct, since I use the Ishiiruka build and have all or most of my shaders pre-compiled and preloaded upon game launch so I am able to maintain a solid 60FPS with no shader compilation stuttering.

I've just seen the guide here and noticed this instruction:
      "Then, go back to the Dolphin Emulator folder, then into Config and go to Dolphin.ini, and edit the WirelessMac line so that it contains your Wii's MAC."

I had no clue about this when I set up my dolphin Wiimmfi connection so I did not change that line in the Dolphin.ini file.
      What is the purpose of doing that?
      If I go and change it at this point, after I have been playing already for a while, do I risk getting banned because of reporting a different MAC address to Wiimmfi?

Thank you.
      Some older versions of Dolphin used a new random MAC every time when the MAC didn't exist in the config file. This would lead to a ban due to mac changers. AFAIK, this has been fixed some time ago and shouldn't be an issue any longer.

If you want me to check, just connect with Dolphin, restart Dolphin and connect again, then tell me your IP and the time you did that. I can then check in the server logs whether your dolphin instance did use the same MAC (as it should) or random ones.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

I'm using the latest and greatest Ishiiruka build of dolphin so this seems to be the case or I would have been banned by now after a few days of playing and a build update in-between.

If I still want to specify my Wii's MAC address in the config file to protect from future changes on how dolphin reports its MAC address, would doing this get me banned from Wiimmfi?
      A single change of a MAC address won't get you banned from Wiimmfi, there is a threshold which allows you a few changes without ban, because people might migrate from Wii to WiiU (this changes the MAC) or might need to change the Wifi module in the Wii (also gives you a new MAC).

Excellent. In that case, I'll update the file config file just in case.

One more question, if you don't mind, and this one just for curiosity. I don't plan on doing this but if I were to alternate playing MKW on Wiimmfi on my Wii and on Dolphin with my Wii's NAND dump and did not have the Wii's MAC address on the Dolphin config file, would that count as MAC address changes?
      No, it wouldn't, because the server doesn't count the number of changes, but the number of different MACs used in a specific time. Even when you change from Wii to Dolphin every hour, that counter would still stay at 2, because you'd use two different MACs.