Questions about Homebrew Exploits

• Offen

Questions about Homebrew Exploits

Hello Homebrew Experts!

I have two question about the usage of Homebrew Exploits on a virgin/vanila Wii. I would like to use the Smash Stack exploit on my 4.3E (virgin) Wii system. But does that leave traces? (Like, Nintendo can see it or so?) As from what I remember, homebrew leaves traces in the system's log. I was thinking of using the beforementioned exploit to make a NAND backup of my Wii system to extract/copy some files over to my already homebrewed (4.3E again) Wii. Another question is: How must I do that? By just using BootMii as an ELF file (don't know if the European Smash Stack accepts DOL files) to make a backup, without installing anything homebrew related on my Wii?
      Well, in theory you could start Bootmii with the Smash Stack and make a Backup, yes.
      But nobody knows if maybe the start of Bootmii itself will already be added to any log. Why is it so important to not leave any traces? Is the Wii that new it still has warranty?

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Leseratte schrieb:

Well, in theory you could start Bootmii with the Smash Stack and make a Backup, yes.
      But nobody knows if maybe the start of Bootmii itself will already be added to any log. Why is it so important to not leave any traces? Is the Wii that new it still has warranty?
      Well, in case I ever want to sell my virgin Wii, I want to keep it without any traces of homebrew. Is there anyone who knows about 'logging' BootMii through the SmashStack method?
      Nobody besides Nintendo does know.

However, you'll always be able to get that Wii back into a state where no normal person buying that Wii will be able to find traces of homebrew, not even if they install homebrew and search. Only Nintendo might be able to find that out in some hidden unknown logfiles.

And Nintendo has stopped making System updates for the Wii long ago so that can't break anything, too.

Leseratte schrieb:

Nobody besides Nintendo does know.

However, you'll always be able to get that Wii back into a state where no normal person buying that Wii will be able to find traces of homebrew, not even if they install homebrew and search. Only Nintendo might be able to find that out in some hidden unknown logfiles.

And Nintendo has stopped making System updates for the Wii long ago so that can't break anything, too.
      Has no one ever found any method to search then?

I know it won't break, but I also like the 'sound' of keeping my very precious Wii console (good times ;)) as original as possible, while actually making it able to play the games from it (WiiWare, VC etc) on my homebrew Wii, to never lose the software and all.
      Well, people did search, but just because you don't find something that doesn't mean that there is nothing.

Maybe there are hidden logs, maybe there aren't. Very unlikely in my opinion, but theoretically possible.
      If there was just one hidden bit flipped when homebrew was first executed, there would be no way to find that out since you can't make NAND dumps without homebrew.

Leseratte schrieb:

Well, people did search, but just because you don't find something that doesn't mean that there is nothing.

Maybe there are hidden logs, maybe there aren't. Very unlikely in my opinion, but theoretically possible.
      If there was just one hidden bit flipped when homebrew was first executed, there would be no way to find that out since you can't make NAND dumps without homebrew.
      Hmm, all right then.

Then I'm wondering, how do I use BootMii through the Smash Stack exploit without installing it? I just want to make a NAND (and keys.bin) backup from it, not installing it pernamently.
      You need to install Bootmii to use it, however, if you just want to make a backup and need no brick protection for the future, installing it as an IOS should be enough and you can delete it afterwards, if you really want to.

Leseratte schrieb:

You need to install Bootmii to use it, however, if you just want to make a backup and need no brick protection for the future, installing it as an IOS should be enough and you can delete it afterwards, if you really want to.
      Hmm, I see. However, is there any other application without boot2/IOS modification that allows to backup the NAND? As I really want to keep it 'clean', while having a NAND backup, to copy data from that to my homebrewed Wii.
      You could use FSToolbox which should be able to dump the complete NAND in its extracted form (so you'd be able to extract savegames, miis, whatever from it). But this dump can not be restored to a console, it is only useable to get the data from the console.

But copying WiiWare and/or VC games to another console will probably not work if that's what you intended to do - these are linked to a console.

Leseratte schrieb:

You could use FSToolbox which should be able to dump the complete NAND in its extracted form (so you'd be able to extract savegames, miis, whatever from it). But this dump can not be restored to a console, it is only useable to get the data from the console.

But copying WiiWare and/or VC games to another console will probably not work if that's what you intended to do - these are linked to a console.
      That one sounds risky, reading from the WiiBrew wiki entry... Besides, I would actually like to get the channels (as WADs) and such by using YABDM (Yet Another BlueDeep Mod). BUt it either requires a Wii to operate YABDM to dump those WADs and fakesign them to actually make them usable for every Wii (I didn't know this until today) if using a WAD manager to install those fakesigned WADs. So either I need the nand.bin/keys.bin file and the game/software copied to my SD card (by just using Nintendo's way) to install it on my other homebrewed Wii, or (if possible without custom IOSses/IOS patching and such) use Smash Stack to activate YABDM, but I don't know if it boots on a virgin Wii through that method. And I'm not willing to risk bricking my virgin Wii if it doesn't.