Wii online play three years since the NWFC shutdown

Wii online play three years since the NWFC shutdown

So it's been three years since the nintendo wi fi was oficially discontinued.

I wonder what the status of wii online play is these days.

I lost my interest like these three years ago and not until recently did I get interested in it again.
      To be honest, it was only in the fall of 2013 that I bought myself the Wii. I was looking forward to eventually delving into online play (I had always been rather a single player, still am) but May come and they shut the servers down. So I was kinda pissed. But the shutdown didn't make me migrate to any other system.

Did you guys move on, change the console or quit online, or do you stick to these few games that are still playable online on the wii?

Tell me, are there any other games except Mario Kart and Smash Bros where you can easily get online matches?
      Or are other wi fi compatible games dead?

The other day I launched some games and:
      Mario Kart is pretty busy. Anyhow, are there any gamers playing the fun tracks online without cheating?
      Nights - couldn't find any matches
      Strikers Charged - I got the error getting stats
      Conduit - no matches
      Goldeneye is still somewhat playable.

Is there any chance that the wii online community will be restored to the state from before the shutdown?
      I have hope against hope that you will be able to bring back, for example, some CoD games, maybe MoH. I know that it's wishful thinking, though.
      But then again, even if you could do it, would there be any players left or would those games just be available but dead due to the lack o players?
      Wiimmfi is strongly against cheating; moderators (like myself :3) make sure people don't cheat and issue bans when they need to.

MKW, ACCF, and before Smash 4, SSBB used to be the strongest played (Smash 4 for Wii U killed SSBB) :P

I currently host the DLS1, GAMESTATS, and Peerchat server for Wiimmfi. if you have any issues with leaderboards (excluding MKW!), Mystery Gifts or other in-game downloadables, or Pokémon Wi-Fi Plaza, I can try to help!

notoco42 schrieb:

Mario Kart is pretty busy. Anyhow, are there any gamers playing the fun tracks online without cheating?
      Conduit - no matches

Is there any chance that the wii online community will be restored to the state from before the shutdown?
      Nights and Conduit are pretty much completely dead, I know that there may be a handful of people out there for Conduit 2 on GameFAQs but I wouldn't hold my breath. For MSC, did you make sure you used the GAMESTATS HTTP skip code, or MrBean's auto Wiimmfi patcher v0.4? 0.4 automatically applies the skip code, and doing this will "fix" the error getting stats. But no one plays online on MSC either, and I really don't blame it for being that way since the code was not made until after a year wfc was shutdown.... I think.

I don't see it going back to the way it was before, seeing as it's been three years and it's still the same of MKW and Brawl being the most active games(I always see people online for these games).
      Friend Codes(Be sure to tell me that you've added me so I can add you back):
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:
      Mario Kart Wii: 2366-7332-2898
      Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 5243-2582-8369
      Fortune Street: 4772-0893-9264
      Animal Crossing City Folk/Let's go to the City: 4988-1638-6337 (Name: NFan Town:NinLand)

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*

notoco42 schrieb:

Are there any chances the COD games will ever get restored?
      Most of the COD servers are still running for the Wii, and there is one that doesn't work with Wiimmfi because it tries to connect to custom servers. The rest should work just fine.
      Disclaimer: The image below is my forum signature and has no correlation to my original message or response.

notoco42 schrieb:

I checked the other day and they were not functional.
      The only installment I do not have is MW3. The other three wi-fi compatible were not working.
      You're not using any sort of patcher on the COD games, are you? this will cause the game not to connect to the proper servers, the ones it needs to connect to are the ones from Activision and only an unpatched game will work on that front.
      Disclaimer: The image below is my forum signature and has no correlation to my original message or response.

notoco42 schrieb:

Yup. I ran the games without the patcher, as I know they are not wiimmfi compatible. World at war - a message pops up that the service has been discontinued. MWRE i BO - there was no one in the lobby so I assumed they must also be unavailable.
      You being the only one available doesn't mean the servers are down: it simply means no one else is currently there to play (a dead game). The servers by Activision are still running, except for World at War, which is also disabled by Wiimmfi because it tries to connect to custom servers.

wiimmfi.de/stat?m=7e CTRL+F call of duty

I've just checked MWRE. You can still get some team deathmatch games.

BO - I get the message "please wait..." and it doesn't even connect to the server.

Update.

I eventually connected to the server. Imagine my shock when I saw the message I needed to download an update. I was convinced there were none for wii games whatsoever.

So BO is also playable. Only team death match so far. Don't people have a taste for other modes?

To think I've been living under a rock all these three years since the shutdown, convinced that CoD is also down.

I wonder how long these servers will last.

It's a shame that WaW won't be restored because I actually liked WWII better than these new-fangled moder warfare style CoDs.

So is there any way the WaW will ever be restored?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von notoco42 ()

Alright then. Let me drop off my two cents.

notoco42 schrieb:

So let me word it this way: what will it take to resotre the WaW wi fi capability? Or quantum of solace for that matter?
      Currently it is impossible to do so as the game tries to connect to custom servers, something we lack proper data dumps of to attempt to recreate such servers, let alone anyone willing to spend their time figuring out how to reverse engineer and try to understand the infrastructure of such a server to attempt to recreate it. The only way you might be able to give it a shot is by having long term unencrypted dumps and people willing to spend their time on a project to recreate this server, or, if there is a chance for it, to attempt to request the standalone server of Activision. The same goes to Quantum of Solace.

So in short It's not going to happen. In my opinion is completely useless to attempt to even restore those two games not only because of its tedious process, but also because of the playerbase remaining completely dead afterwards, as very few people that used to play these games using the Nintendo Wi-Fi service won't even care about it's restoration, especially since WaW has been ported to PC on the Steam store, the dedicated servers for that are still function, and currently is $10 or regional equivalent on the Steam store. If you would like to play World at War again, consider buying the Steam variant. Your computer is more than likely to run it perfectly fine.

Quantum of Solace however does not have a PC port but rather an Xbox 360 variant, a console which is soon to be dead, too. It might not be recoverable at all.

notoco42 schrieb:

How about MoH Heroes 2?
      There is currently no entry for Medal of Honor - Heroes 2. You can attempt to create a game definition for this game, but I don't have high hopes as it may connect to custom servers too, let alone a playerbase remains.

notoco42 schrieb:

I consider playing black ops online but I've been hearing that this game can brick the console. Is that true? Are there any safety measures against it? Or am I always playing a russian roulette when i pop in the bo DVD?
      where the hell did you get that from lmao

If you're uncertain, make a backup of your Wii's NAND along with its decryption keys, you can usually restore a brick with those alone. If you have any more questions about bricks, please post a new topic in an appropriate board for it.

but honestly how in the hell can you brick your WIi by playing a genuine game online? The only logical reason I can come up with is poor homebrew modding, like overwriting every single IOS with garbage, something no sane person would do.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Reboot ()

No, because nobody knows the answer.

The WoW and Quantum of Solace games use custom servers. You'd need to implement them, and that is practically impossible without being able to run hundreds of tests while the servers still exist. In theory it could be possible with huge efforts (reading the raw assembler code of the game and understanding it), but I doubt anyone would be able to do that, so the answer is probably "never".

As for black ops, I'd consider it unlikely that that game can brick Wiis. There would be many reports about that on the internet. However a quick search gave me a few results claiming it can ruin the disc drive. I'd recommend playing it from USB and not from disc.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

All right, thanks everybody for the replies.

I work on the PC for a living, so I can't stand the thought of spending some more hours in front of the the computer screen playing PC games. Hence, I was anxious to play it on the console.
      Other than that, I don't plan on buying any other consoles because I've bought so many games for the Wii and I have a backlog that will take a couple years to catch up. So playing it on other consoles is ruled out for the moment as well.
      But what do I care. I've got those other games to busy myself with.
      I've heard it's not technically bricking but the BO puts so much strain on the DVD drive that it renders it useless after prolonged use.

I've also heard that the issue was addressed by the patch released for the BO wii back in the day. I was assured by one person that the patch takes care of that issue.

Even so, it's kinda funny that it should happen at all.

notoco42 schrieb:

So it's been three years since the nintendo wi fi was oficially discontinued.

I wonder what the status of wii online play is these days.

I lost my interest like these three years ago and not until recently did I get interested in it again.
      To be honest, it was only in the fall of 2013 that I bought myself the Wii. I was looking forward to eventually delving into online play (I had always been rather a single player, still am) but May come and they shut the servers down. So I was kinda pissed. But the shutdown didn't make me migrate to any other system.

Did you guys move on, change the console or quit online, or do you stick to these few games that are still playable online on the wii?

Tell me, are there any other games except Mario Kart and Smash Bros where you can easily get online matches?
      Or are other wi fi compatible games dead?

Conduit - no matches

I have hope against hope that you will be able to bring back, for example, some CoD games, maybe MoH. I know that it's wishful thinking, though.
      But then again, even if you could do it, would there be any players left or would those games just be available but dead due to the lack o players?
      Here's the funny thing, you see the wiimmfi star page, right? You see people getting on (other than MKW and SSBB) games like MSC, TvC, ACCF, Bomberman Blast etc but no one is ever on at the same time because we all may have different schedules. Eventually, you may think no one plays at all. But trust me, there are people who still plays games like this. You would have to create a community on something like discord and find people to play with. I've done this with MSC because of my love for the game and was successful. I believe there's a Wiimmfi discord if I'm not mistaken. But yeah dude, people still play.