CTGP-PC-Update

CTGP-PC-Update

Hello,

it's been about 5 years since I first installed CTGP (not counting the hacked version that I had way before Nintendo's Servers were shut down, that didn't need the disk and never was meant to work Online anyway) and it's been 4 times that I wanted to play Online with friends. Every single time that failed.
      Why? Because (except for the first time) when a friend and I decide to play MKWii Online I remember CTGP and go here: chadsoft.co.uk/ and then I realize, that I already have a copy on my SD card. Then I go online on my Wii and every time there is at least a year of update backlogs. I don't know what the bottleneck is, but after half an hour every time we realize, that the update didn't even reach 10%
      (one reason for that is that some updates restart the channel right away to get to the next update, some just set me back to the Wii main menu and some loop around installing themselves infinite times until I cancel and restart CTGP myself, but that is not the issue here)
      at that point I realize, that I can just redownload the whole thing from mega.com in pretty close to 1 minute and tada, all up to date. But then I get a 7 day ban from Online, so this is why I never once played CTCP Online with a friend. Of course I could just open the backuped folder from SD and find the profile and fit that into the newly downloaded CTGP-Channel, but by this time so much time has passed, that we just ship it and play offline instead.
      So please just give us an update.bat that updates the whole thing on PC and more importantly remind me of this update stuff (or the profile moving thing. The tut asks many questions, so maybe just a question on whether I played CTGP before and then an explanation on how to move the profile and redownload the rest would be fine) in the tutorial because I am pretty sure I will have forgotten it if I don't use CTGP Online for another 2-3 years and then this might happen again.

Also please remove that very hard track with the big mushrooms, because three out of three times I accidentally picked this track together with MKWii newbies (that is 3 out of 7 times I played CTGP Offline with friends) they actually got so frustrated, that they decided they never want to play CTGP ever again on the spot even if they are 20 tracks in at that point and we played some super hard ones. I personnaly don't mind that track, but it has destroyed the possibiliy to play CTGP with friends multiple time. There is just something to it that makes new players not want to play CTGP ever again.

Lastly of course I'm noone to request anything, but maybe I'm not the only one so I decided to give it a try.

PS: It's Mushroom Peaks. I think a big skull telling people not to take the right way might be enough. There is something very unfun in trying the right path on one of the 3 laps and then just getting stuck forever thinking "Yes, after 5 tries I finally made this hard ju... wtf? There is just no way to make this next one what???? What do I even do now????" And then they ask me and I tell them, that it's possible to do with a mushroom, but way too hard for them to even try and they should just try to reach the other path and maybe go back for it and I'm sorry I forgot to tell not to take the right path and I don't know how to get to the other path, sorry again.
      I know this is directly from Bean and it has a special place in many of our hearts, but it's also pretty old and I promise that it is a real show stopper I think it might finally be time to drop it or hide it of modify it because while I will not fall into that trap again someone else might.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von andy01 ()

This forum is about Wiimmfi (the online service) and has nothing to do with CTGP, so most questions and concerns about CTGP (like removing Mushroom Peaks) would be better asked to Chadderz & Bean directly.

What would be the point in spending time making a PC updater if you can just redownload? The Wii network hardware is just crap and slow, the CTGP updater is intended to be used if you keep it updated. The web page even says that it is probably faster to redownload if you are missing many updates.

The missing "profile" is something you enabled yourself - there is a setting in the CTGP channel called "save to SD". Of course that means you are now saving to the SD and are responsible for your savegame yourself and have to migrate it to a new SD card.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Mushroom Peaks is about 90% not going anywhere; it's not the best of tracks but it's nostalgia.

Furthermore, you can download the updates to your SD from chadsoft.co.uk if you need to install updates en masse. The Wii HW is 4Mbps down at best, that's not gonna be fun to download any huge updates on.

I currently host the DLS1, GAMESTATS, and Peerchat server for Wiimmfi. if you have any issues with leaderboards (excluding MKW!), Mystery Gifts or other in-game downloadables, or Pokémon Wi-Fi Plaza, I can try to help!

Leseratte schrieb:

This forum is about Wiimmfi (the online service) and has nothing to do with CTGP, so most questions and concerns about CTGP (like removing Mushroom Peaks) would be better asked to Chadderz & Bean directly.
      That is true. Still I came here via chadsoft.co.uk/contact.html and while chadsoft tells me what to use this forum for (and my request is none of that) I felt like some of my concerns would make sense to discuss in an open forum first and I did not find an open CTGPR-Forum.
      The missing "profile" is something you enabled yourself - there is a setting in the CTGP channel called "save to SD". Of course that means you are now saving to the SD and are responsible for your savegame yourself and have to migrate it to a new SD card.
      I actually don't think the "profile" is missing. It just gets flagged as a new one for whatever reason (Anticheat I guess).
      What would be the point in spending time making a PC updater if you can just redownload?
      A simple .bat that compares the old and new ctgpr folder and merges them into a real new one would be enough. Or telling people not to forget to merge the key and how to do it would be fine too.
      The web page even says that it is probably faster to redownload if you are missing many updates.
      It does? I could not find this notice.

@PokerAcer: Thank you for your answer too. I have nothing new to say to it right now.
      Anticheat doesn't delete your profile. You just told CTGP to store it on the SD instead of on the Wii, and then it obviously will be gone when you change SD cards without copying the savegame to the new SD card.

A simple bat is not that easy. Most of the CTGP data is in one single huge file (blob.bin), so you can't just download new / missing files but the downloader would need to download the new blob.bin - which would be as large as the complete download.

Leseratte schrieb:

Anticheat doesn't delete your profile. You just told CTGP to store it on the SD instead of on the Wii
      Anticheat did not delete my profile and I did not say that it did. Also I did not save my profile to SD, I checked that and I can upload a photo if you want me to.
      Yet every time I redownload CTGP I get a 7 day "ban".
      I don't think the profile is deleted or in any way missing at all, I assume think that there's a simple key in the blob, that is used for Anti Cheat and it gets generated every first time you use a newly downloaded CTGP-blob online, but that is wild speculation-
      There is no trigger or anything in the blob that "generates" anything.

You get the 7 day ban over and over again if you never actually go online. If you download CTGP, try to go online, then get the 7-day-wait, and then never use your Wii again for a year, your console will never be activated properly.

You need to trigger the 7-day-wait, and then, after 7 days (or a short time after that) actually connect to Wiimmfi - and then the 7-day-wait doesn't start again.