Competitions / WC24

Could you try to wait a few minutes when this happens?

Maybe your Wii was unable to get the DNS entries / IPs of the server.
      The Wii tries to connect to the WC24 servers in a set interval, while system is looking up DNS entries to get the ips of the server(s), it doesn't shut down, as far as I know.
      I had this a few times while testing different things – the Wii starts DNS lookups and starts 5 tries per domain if one attempt fails; while it’s trying to get IPs from the DNS it won't shut down (whoever thought this would be a good system … lol).
      „A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP“ – Leonard Nimoy

Gabriel_Ferraz schrieb:

Many appeared Miis in my Mii Parade when I played Mario Kart Online (until I received the Miis of my friends when I played with them!) :D

This is my new Mii, I named it by date, it's white with black heart:
      dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62424385/Mii-test-2014-09-01.jpg
      Chances are slim that it will show up on someone elses parade, but we can try? I will monitor if the number of new Miis in parade change.
      :26px-WiiDrawing.svg: My friend codes are: Brawl 0949-5404-5562 | Last Story (PAL) 3870 2211 5436| Mario Kart Wii 4471-1515-9200 | The Conduit 3570-8233-6342 | Water Warfare 3397-8082-8601. Message me if you add me

pizdek schrieb:

Gabriel_Ferraz schrieb:

Many appeared Miis in my Mii Parade when I played Mario Kart Online (until I received the Miis of my friends when I played with them!) :D

This is my new Mii, I named it by date, it's white with black heart:
      dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62424385/Mii-test-2014-09-01.jpg
      Chances are slim that it will show up on someone elses parade, but we can try? I will monitor if the number of new Miis in parade change.

We'd have to play mario kart together so I can get your Mii and you mine.

Gabriel_Ferraz schrieb:

We'd have to play mario kart together so I can get your Mii and you mine.

I see. But still, there is the question - how come I can see brand new Miis appearing on my parade lately, and I don't have any Homebrew or modification installed on the console, and I haven't been using Wiimmfi server yet. Last time I played online was through Nintendo WiFi on May 20th. Am I connecting with other users through something else? (I play a lotta Animal Crossing City Folk.) If i find out that the number of Miis in my parade changes, then something weird is going on with wc24 I think.
      :26px-WiiDrawing.svg: My friend codes are: Brawl 0949-5404-5562 | Last Story (PAL) 3870 2211 5436| Mario Kart Wii 4471-1515-9200 | The Conduit 3570-8233-6342 | Water Warfare 3397-8082-8601. Message me if you add me
      Just a short update: My overall Mii parade number increased by 7 more Miis. Definitively seeing some new ones and not seeing some old ones anymore. Granted, yesterday I installed HBC and disc-method Wiimmfi patcher for the very first time ever, and played quite a few rounds of MKWii online, so that might caused the increase as well.

A little new update (Sept.06.) is that in last two days my overall Mii parade number has even dropped down by a few. I also forgot to mention that in the period when I didn't have any HBC/Wiimmfi installation on the console I did however play Black Ops online last two weeks (it uses third party server), this is what I forgot, and what might affected the updates in Mii parade. But I also swear that I've witnessed regular changes in number of Miis and in their appearances since the May 20th shutdown till I bought the Black Ops two weeks ago. So that is cca 3-4 months of no multiplayer online activity whatsoever.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von pizdek ()

@Leseratte Sorry I haven't gotten you the information yet from my NAND dumps for your WC24 server. I've been testing something out with Animal Crossing and I didn't want to connect to your WC24 server just yet. I don't know if you know anything about Animal Crossing: City Folk but there are certain features that supposedly won't work unless WC24 is enabled. The features are that neighbors can move out of your town and move into your friend's towns, you can send letters to your friends in other towns, and there are other events where there is a baby kitten in one person's town and the mama cat in someone else's town and you have to travel to that other person's town to reunite the kitten with the mama cat, and many more that I won't bore you with. Well I have had every single one of those things I talked about happen while playing with people on Wiimmfi. I saw the comment that you written earlier saying that:

Leseratte schrieb:

Some WC24 servers are still running. Maybe the server for the mii parade, too.

First off, why would there still be some WC24 servers running if Nintendo's official WFC has been discontinued? And second, since I can still do all those extra things does that mean that it's possible that the Animal Crossing: City Folk WC24 server is still running? If it is then I'm hesitant to modify my NAND to connect to your WC24 server if it means I will lose those extra features in my game. Is there a way that I can run traffic dumps on the game while both playing and while it's in standby to see if it is in fact connecting to the real WC24 server? And if I can do that, will those dumps help you out with your server at all?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just hoping that this information can help you out some even if it isn't related to Mario Kart Wii. Also, I'm still going to get those other Mario Kart Wii files from my NAND dumps you were asking for soon.
      A change of the WC24 server adresses will not break any of AC's online functionalities. IIRC, the only online WC24 server is "amw.wc24.wii.com" which is used by the Wii to get its unique nick name at first internet connection. Luckily, this unique nick is also needed by the Shop, so they could not stop this server without breaking shop functionalities for all new Wiis/vWiis.

There are no WC24 servers for each game, they've all used the mail server to send special formatted mails.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Hello @Clutz450, I have to make a correction here - of all the City Folk features you mentioned, only sending letters to other towns required the WiiConnect24. That is, they would be sent, but wouldn't be recieved anymore (which concurs with what someone here posted above that WC24 was more about recieving stuff, not so much about sending stuff - or maybe it's vice versa?).

All the other stuff, the cats Katie & Kaitlin reuniting, moving of villagers to/from friends town - all of this worked even after the June 2013 WC24 shutdown. So I believe these things should work on Wiimmfi normally.

Spoiler anzeigen
      Also in the city, the auction house needs WC24 to interact with your friends' displayed items. This is very peculiar, since, for example, saving a favourite stars constellation from your friend's town didn't need WC24, it worked even after June 2013, the constellation I saved from my friend showed up in my town's sky afterwards.

One another thing I learned is that in Gracie's store some people reported having a friend's clothes appearing on a dummy in Gracie's display window, inside the store (instead of the usual Gracie's clothes). I honestly don't know if this feature uses WC24 or only the gameplay server.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von pizdek ()

pizdek schrieb:

Hello @Clutz450, I have to make a correction here - of all the City Folk features you mentioned, only sending letters to other towns required the WiiConnect24. That is, they would be sent, but wouldn't be recieved anymore (which concurs with what someone here posted above that WC24 was more about recieving stuff, not so much about sending stuff - or maybe it's vice versa?).

But Nintendo definitely was able to send a message about the WFC shutdown somewhen in May 2014.

Yes.
      And there was also one very interesting thing I documented right after the WC24 shutdown. As you can see in the following video, I was able to send Wii messages through the Message board to another Wii console even in as late as September 2013 (!), 3 months after the WC24 shutdown. It was even registered on 'Today's accomplishments' letter for that day, bottom under "Messages Sent" section.
      However, these messages probably never arrived to their destination, but still - they were successfully sent, I didn't get any error notification when sending it, unlike we all get now (shown at the end of the video).

I asked about this in some other discussion, people figured that at the time the WC24 shutdown was done one by one server, not all servers at once, or something along those lines. But still very strange, and maybe it helps in understanding how WC24 messaging worked?

video is here:

Note: This video will be loaded from YouTube, which causes some data, including but not limited to your IP, User Agent and Referrer, to be sent to YouTube servers. For more information see the Privacy Policy. By pressing the "play" button you automatically enable embedding YouTube videos for the future.

Hinweis: Dieses Video wird von YouTube geladen. Dabei werden einige Daten, unter anderem Ihre IP, Ihr User Agent und der Referrer an YouTube-Server gesendet. Für weitere Details lesen Sie bitte die Datenschutzerklärung. Wenn Sie den Play-Button anklicken, erlauben Sie damit automatisch das Einbinden von YouTube-Videos für die Zukunft.

This is an English thread, so please keep it in English. / Hier wird nur English gesprochen. Wenn Du was auf Deutsch besprechen musst, eröffne ein Thema im deutschsprachingen Unterforum oder starte ne Konversation.

Clutz450 schrieb:

First off, why would there still be some WC24 servers running if Nintendo's official WFC has been discontinued?

WC24 and WFC are completely independent from each other. The latter was forced to shut down as it was actually run by an outside company (Gamespy) which got bought out and closed. The former is fully Nintendo's own creation so they actually have the ability to enable and disable parts of it as they see fit and deem it necessary. E.g. one WC24 server that is still running (and has to run as long as the Wii Shop is supported) is the one for the network connection check that is required after every network setting change.
      @Leseratte Did you ever get my email with the 3 zip files from my different NAND Dumps for Mario Kart Wii? Also,

Leseratte schrieb:

You can. But if you make any mistake while using FSToolbox, your Wii may be bricked.

Can you tell me what I need to do step by step with FSToolbox to get you the file you need to patch and how to put it back into my Wii NAND when done?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Clutz450 ()

Yes, I got your mail.

Start FSToolbox, navigate to the Folder /shared2/wc24/ (select a Folder with Up/Down, open it with A)
      Navigate the Cursor to nwc24msg.cfg and press the Minus button.

The file is now dumped to the SD. Exit FSToolbox, put the SD in the computer, make a backup of the file and send it to me (PN with download link). I will then send you a patched file. You replace the file on the SD with the patched file, and start FSToolbox again.

Navigate to the same folder then before, select the nwc24msg.cfg but this time, press Plus to install the file from the SD.