Competitions / WC24

Do you know how asymmetric encryption / signatures work?

It's the same as if you say "I have a valid 3DS game from eShop on my SD so I extract the signature to download all other games from the internet".

Asymmetric encryption works with two keys - a public and a private one. The public one is built-in in the Wii, the private one is not published, only Nintendo knows it.
      A text which is encrypted with the public key can only be read with the private one.
      A text which is encrypted with the private key can only be read with the public one.

So, they have the actual data (unencrypted) inside the file, and a signature. The signature is like an encryption, but smaller. Just imagine there was no signature but an encryption.

When Nintendo publishes a new file, they crypt it with their private key, and every Wii (and me too) is able to decrypt it / to check if the file is actually made by nintendo.

To make own files, there are two (or three) ways to circumvent that:

- (very unlikely) get Nintendos private key somehow
      - replace the public Nintendo key inside the Wii with an own key pair - with the result that no game will run any more because of wrong keys
      - Find a hole like Trucha bug inside the WC24 library / patch the WC24 lib with Trucha.

Nochmal auf deutsch
      Nochmal auf Deutsch, vielleicht ist das dann verständlicher:

Es gibt eine öffentlichen Schlüssel (den hat jeder - Nintendo, die Wii, die Homebrew-Entwickler und die User) und einen privaten Schlüssel (den hat nur Nintendo).

Diese beiden Schlüssel ergänzen sich:
      - Ein Text, der mit dem öffentlichen Schlüssel verschlüsselt wird, kann nur mit dem privaten gelesen werden (Verschlüsselung - nur einer kann lesen)
      - Ein Text, der mit dem privaten Schlüssel "verschlüsselt" wird (er wird zusätzlich auch unverschlüsselt verschickt), kann nur mit dem öffentlichen "validiert" werden (Signatur - alle können lesen, aber nur einer [Nintendo] kann Nachrichten erstellen)

Veröffentlicht Nintendo eine neue Datei, wird die mit dem privaten, geheimen Schlüssel signiert, und die Wii kann diese Signatur mit dem öffentlichen prüfen.

Für eigene Dateien gibt es also zwei (bzw. drei) Lösungen:

- Irgendwie an Nintendo's privaten Schlüssel kommen (unwahrscheinlich)
      - Den Nintendo-Schlüssel in der Wii durch einen eigenen ersetzen - dann würde WC24 laufen, aber kein einziges Spiel mehr starten, denn dann gilt der Nintendo-Schlüssel als "böse" / falsch.
      - Einen Trucha-Bug in WC24 finden / WC24 mit Trucha patchen

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

That would only be possible if someone finds out how to patch the WC24 engine with Trucha.

Why they do this?
      Well, the WC24 server for announcement probably had a similar structure as the WC24 servers for mail exchange, wii shop, updates, ...

They probably just had this signing-library laying around and thought it would be good to sign those so no one can spoof a mail that looks like it came from Nintendo - even not with control over the internet traffic.

@dar-and you obviously don't know how it works..
      We have the PUBLIC certificate for connecting and identifying as a Wii/DS but we need the PRIVATE key that the server uses to pair with that key. Changing it would mess up all games, and no packet dump contains it.

I currently host the DLS1, GAMESTATS, and Peerchat server for Wiimmfi. if you have any issues with leaderboards (excluding MKW!), Mystery Gifts or other in-game downloadables, or Pokémon Wi-Fi Plaza, I can try to help!

PokemonAcer schrieb:

@dar-and you obviously don't know how it works..
      We have the PUBLIC certificate for connecting and identifying as a Wii/DS but we need the PRIVATE key that the server uses to pair with that key. Changing it would mess up all games, and no packet dump contains it.

We need the Private key, or something like the trucha bug. The trucha bug allows to install stuff, without checking them.
      Yeah I understand now... Sorry I am not very technical.

Anyway to the point I noticed something about the gamestats server stopping a lot of games working on wiimmfi, is it that wiimmfi doesn't have one, if that is the case I do know people who have one up for a ps2 server that would be happy to help.

Sorry if this is off topic just wondering...

dar-and schrieb:

Yeah I understand now... Sorry I am not very technical.

Anyway to the point I noticed something about the gamestats server stopping a lot of games working on wiimmfi, is it that wiimmfi doesn't have one, if that is the case I do know people who have one up for a ps2 server that would be happy to help.

Sorry if this is off topic just wondering...
      It's not really offtopic. However, gamestats servers are different per game. for example, pokemon platinum is pokeplatds.gamestats.***.wiimmfi.de
      and it has different code to pokemon d/p gamestats

I currently host the DLS1, GAMESTATS, and Peerchat server for Wiimmfi. if you have any issues with leaderboards (excluding MKW!), Mystery Gifts or other in-game downloadables, or Pokémon Wi-Fi Plaza, I can try to help!
      And w/ the ps2 ones maybe they used the same code. We actually have the code for pokemon ones, that's why I used it as an example. I've looked at the code, it *is* different. Also, NDS code =/= Wii code

he said, "
      My gamestats server will support any valid gamespy gamename, so you should be fine using for wii games. I can’t guarantee it, but it should work.

That being said, you do have to authenticate with it using a valid profile, so they would also need to use the gpsp and gpcm servers, otherwise authentication will fail. This means they will have to create new accounts when they switch to use my gpsp and gpcm servers. But that would happen automatically for them if they used my dns server."
      Was that triple post really necessary? Seriously, all of that could have just been put in one post...

Edit by Leseratte:
      I've merged the posts.

Friend Codes(Be sure to tell me that you've added me so I can add you back):
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:
      Mario Kart Wii: 2366-7332-2898
      Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 5243-2582-8369
      Fortune Street: 4772-0893-9264
      Animal Crossing City Folk/Let's go to the City: 4988-1638-6337 (Name: NFan Town:NinLand)

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

sorry I meant to put them all together but it wouldn't let me edit my previous post (and still wont) and I forgot to ask if what he needed in the 2nd post so needed to post again :(

lets me edit it now!

what url you looking for he asks, here is a link to his site if that helps qtracker.com/master-gamespy.php

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von dar-and ()

I found out an interesting thing in a new WC24 network dump and need a tester with bootmii@boot2 to verify it.

If someone has bootmii@boot2 and the ability to make network dumps, it would be great if one could do the following:

1. Make a NAND-Backup
      2. Initialize your Wii
      3. Softmod the Wii again
      4. Start a network dump
      5. Go to the Wii settings, configure the internet connection (first start the dump!) and enable WC24
      6. Open up the USB-Loader and start the Wiimmfi-Patched MKWii ISO
      7. Create a new save game and connect to Wiimmfi once.
      8. Drive one time trial, go to the MKWii Channel and try to view the rankings (it will fail)
      9. Connect to Wiimmfi again and stay on the online screen (where you choose between global, continental and friends) for 5 minutes
      10. Shut down the Wii into WC24 standby (yellow power LED)
      11. Leave the network dump running (with your Wii in Standby) for at least 8-10 hours
      12. Shut down the Wii and send me the network dump

The following things are important:

- Use a USB-Loader and the MKWii-specific Image patcher. Not the generic image patcher and not the automatic disc patcher!
      - Never start the original, un-patched MKWii during steps 3 to 11. If you accidently do so, you need to restart at step 2.

Zusammenfassung auf Deutsch
      Mir ist was interessantes im WC24-Netzwerkdump aufgefallen und ich brauche einen Tester mit Bootmii@boot2 um das zu verifizieren.
      Deshalb suche ich jmd. mit Bootmii@boot2 und der Möglichkeit Netzwerkdumps zu machen.

Folgende Schritte müssten dann durchgeführt werden:

1. NAND-Backup erstellen
      2. Wii initialisieren
      3. Wii Softmodden
      4. Netzwerkdump starten
      5. Wii-Einstellunen öffnen, Internetverbindung konfigurieren (erst bei laufendem Dump!) und WC24 aktivieren
      6. USB-Loader öffnen und das Wiimmfi-gepatchte Mario Kart Wii starten
      7. Neuen Spielstand erstellen und einmal mit Wiimmfi verbinden
      8. Ein Zeitrennen fahen, MKWii-Channel öffnen und die Ranglisten ansehen (das wird fehlschlagen)
      9. Nochmal mit Wiimmfi verbinden und im Online-Bildschirm (mit der Auswahl Global,Kontinental,Freunde) 5 Minuten lang nichts tun
      10. Wii ins WC24-Standy (gelbe Power-LED) ausschalten
      11. Den laufenden Netzwerkdump aus Schritt 4 noch mindestens 8-10 Stunden weiter laufen lassen
      12. Wii ausschalten und mir den Netzwerkdump zukommen lassen

Wichtig:

- Nutze einen USB-Loader und das mit dem MKWii-Patcher gepachte Image. Nicht den Auto-Wiimmfi-Patcher und auch nicht den generischen Imagepatcher
      - Auf keinen Fall an irgendeiner Stelle das originale, ungepatchte MKWii startenn. Falls das ausversehen passiert, muss wieder bei Schritt 2 begonnen werden.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()