VR progress timeline graph - 476 races on Wiimmfi

VR progress timeline graph - 476 races on Wiimmfi

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I am, and I like making graphs and watching patterns occur so I did this.

In a legit profile I started back in early August, I decided to track my VR as it stood at the beginning of every race I would play on Wiimmfi (Worldwide). Starting from 5000 VR (of course), I kept my laptop nearby and a notepad document logging my VR after it was calculated and saved at the end of every race. This includes all times I was disconnected from a race and lost VR (which was very rare). This line graph contains how my VR progressed through 476 races, showing all my winning streaks (rare) and losing streaks (far more common). Despite having owned and played MKW for almost 6 years now, I'm not quite an expert at it. Before the Nintendo WFC shutdown, I managed to get my VR all the way up to 9999, but the last 1300 of that was mainly due to dumb luck - I ended up in a room with a 4TL hacker that gave away hundreds of VR, and we both stayed in that room forever. Without the aid of 4TL hackers, I went from 5000 VR to about 8600 VR by myself. I could never get higher than that, I would always have some really bad losing streak that would set me back up to 2000 VR in one night.

But now, on the Wiimmfi servers, I wanted to do it again - see if I could reach my goal of 9999 VR. I haven't even come close. The first 50 races or so was very easy, winning nearly every consecutive race in 1st place. But then, the inevitable struggles popped up and made things more difficult. But still nothing too bad. Reaching 7000 VR and actually staying there, now THAT was a challenge. This is when I started having losing streaks and stagnant VR periods, where I just couldn't get my VR above 7000 but I managed to keep it above 6300 for the most part. I even fell to 5988 VR very briefly, falling below 6000 VR for the first time in a long time. Much later, I got really lucky and surpassed the 7000 VR milestone and skyrocketed up to 7633 VR - just when I thought things were finally going swell - then a horrible losing streak hit. For a while then, losing streaks began to outnumber my winnings. I dipped back below 7000 VR a few times, much to my disappointment. Things seem to be getting a little better as of late.....I'll do another one of these soon.

I would have waited until 500 races to post this, but something else came up (one of my other profiles I used to do the occasional 4TL, and got banned). :patsch:

Tell me what you think about the graph, and possibly keep this idea to start keeping track of your own VR and post it if you're interested in that sort of stuff.

KantoEpic schrieb:

He's a douchebag.
      The official server tried to connect you to players who have a VR point count similar than your VR point count.

The Wiimmfi-server can't do this since there are not that much open Worldwide races, so you loose VR easier when you come in a room with players who have much less VR than you (and loose a race).

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Leseratte schrieb:

The official server tried to connect you to players who have a VR point count similar than your VR point count.

The Wiimmfi-server can't do this since there are not that much open Worldwide races, so you loose VR easier when you come in a room with players who have much less VR than you (and loose a race).

It seems about the same to me. I think my losing streaks were actually worse in WFC than in Wiimmfi servers. But yes, whenever I get put in a room where my VR is substantially higher than everyone else's, I make an effort to leave that room as quickly as I can.

KantoEpic schrieb:

He's a douchebag.

Leseratte schrieb:

Technical it is not a server decision, but it's a game decision.

While matchmaking, the original game searches player with similar points. This worked good because ate least 2000-3000 were online. Nowadays only about 80-200 player are are online. So I decided to expand the VR range to ALL to make matchmaking easier. And this modification is done during the patching of the game.

If now a single player changes this back to the old behaviour, it has nearly no effect, because other players find him in the new open way.

WIT: Wiimms ISO Tools
      Verwaltet Plain ISO, WDF, WIA, CISO, WBFS, FST: kann Extrahieren, Erstellen, Patchen, Mischen und Überprüfen

SZS: Wiimms SZS Tools
      Verwaltet SZS-, BRRES-, U8-, BMG-, BREFT-Dateien uvm.

PN ohne persönlichen Charakter werden ignoriert. Support-Anfragen gehören ins Forum.

Wiimm schrieb:

Leseratte schrieb:

While matchmaking, the original game searches player with similar points. This worked good because ate least 2000-3000 were online. Nowadays only about 80-200 player are are online. So I decided to expand the VR range to ALL to make matchmaking easier. And this modification is done during the patching of the game.

If now a single player changes this back to the old behaviour, it has nearly no effect, because other players find him in the new open way.

By the way Wiimm, I sent you a message (or "conversation") last night - did you get it?

KantoEpic schrieb:

He's a douchebag.

Wiimm schrieb:

Leseratte schrieb:

Dear Wiimmfi Team,

Since there are currently more players online (400 - 500) than in the initial phase of the server, I would like to politely ask if it is possible to reintroduce the VR/BR range (set it back to default). The topic was mentioned here, so I wrote it in here.

Thank you already for the answer :) !

unnamed schrieb:

Dear Wiimmfi Team,

Since there are currently more players online (400 - 500) than in the initial phase of the server, I would like to politely ask if it is possible to reintroduce the VR/BR range (set it back to default). The topic was mentioned here, so I wrote it in here.

Thank you already for the answer !

This is asked almost monthly and Wiimmfi already uses the VR ranges for matchmaking.

You can tell people to disable Openhost / delete all friends if you don't want people to join your WW with low VR.
      I have tested it on the weekend with my friends. Everyone of us had OpenHost disabled and we deleted all friend relations. I was still able to join a regional vs room and battle room with nearly 5k hosted by a 9k player. On vs, I was also not the only one with 5k that joined the room.

So either I doubt that this can be true or there is another setting I don't know from.
      Regional rooms and battle is pretty empty.

Wiimmfi does put you into a VR-appropriate room when possible (though I believe it goes by average VR not the hosts' VR), but when none is available you end up in another room so you don't wait for an eternity.

I see, thank you both for the clarification.

However, it might bebetter for both noobs and pros to create their own rooms whenthey search. noobs only have little chance in pro rooms. They could search until another noob searches and create their own room ifonly a pro room is available. The same is true in reverse, of course.

This is just myopinion, but I think it could possibly be beneficial for the server, and make regionals and battles more attractive for both sides.
      Highly unlikely.

Battles and regional matches are already fairly empty and you rarely find anyone. Splitting that up again by VR would only make it even less likely for players to find eachother.