Playing local multiplayer DSi games online

Playing local multiplayer DSi games online

I don't know where to post this, so if it is in the wrong forum, please move it.

Hi, is there any way to play local multiplayer games for the DS/DSi online? I know that something like this is possible, because it was done with the PS Portable. Basically, I need a program that can make wirelessly communicate the "searching for other ds/dsi's" connection, to trick the system that the two handhelds are in the same room, but in reality, the handhelds are in different countries, or just far away from each other.

The main reason why I want this is to be able to play with other people online with the DSi ware title, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords anniversary edition. Yes, I know there is a new game in the Four Swords spin off series that has online, but I'm more used to the anniversary edition, and I cannot afford the new game(as of now). There are also other games that i'd like to play online(Like Mario Party DS).

If there is no way, then I understand. I'll just wait until Christmas to get the new Four Swords game.
      Friend Codes(Be sure to tell me that you've added me so I can add you back):
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:
      Mario Kart Wii: 2366-7332-2898
      Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 5243-2582-8369
      Fortune Street: 4772-0893-9264
      Animal Crossing City Folk/Let's go to the City: 4988-1638-6337 (Name: NFan Town:NinLand)

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      Local multiplayer works different from online multiplayer, technically speaking. The main difference is, on online multiplayer you connect(ed) to a central server from which the games are/were handled. Speaking in network terms, this is called the "Infrastructure" mode, being connected to something like an Access Point.

Local multiplayer instead uses a peer-to-peer method (Ad-hoc mode), where each handheld communicates with each other during a session. This is the only mode, for which a library exists in terms of Homebrew for DS (just mentioning it, even you didn't ask for Homebrew).

So you would need a network adapter, which:
      1. can handle being part of that Ad-hoc network,
      2. identify itself as DS/DSi,
      3. has a special chipset and driver and
      4. is connected to the net using a network bridge.

I don't remember, which chipset you need, as it was long ago when I programmed for the DS.

It's even easier to play online on GameCube (like Mario Kart: Double Dash!!).
      Gamecube had online?

Also, I did not know there were homebrews for this kind of thing...
      Friend Codes(Be sure to tell me that you've added me so I can add you back):
      Spoiler anzeigen
      Wii Games:
      Mario Kart Wii: 2366-7332-2898
      Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 5243-2582-8369
      Fortune Street: 4772-0893-9264
      Animal Crossing City Folk/Let's go to the City: 4988-1638-6337 (Name: NFan Town:NinLand)

*insert signature here*
      *cringe*
      [offtopic]
      There was a Modem Adapter and an Ethernet/Broadband Adapter for the GameCube, which were plugged in on the bottomside (just one of them at one time). The GameCube only had a handful of online capable games, the prominent ones are the Phantasy Star Online games for GameCube, which even were used to execute unsigned code on the Cube.

GC supported LAN/Internet Games:
      • Homeland (Internet, LAN)
      • Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (Internet)
      • Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus (Internet)
      • Phantasy Star Online Episode I & III: C.A.R.D. Revolution (Internet)
      • Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (LAN, online via tunneling)
      • 1080° Avalanche (LAN, online via tunneling)
      • Kirby Air Ride (LAN, online via tunneling)
      [/offtopic]

Local multiplayer for DS was used by only a few homebrew apps. I currently only remember one of them: Lameboy, the predecessor of GameYob, provided simple multiplayer capabilities for at least the Pokémon GB/GBC games, at least trading worked very good.

I know it's trickier for the DS/DSi local multiplayer games to connect over the internet instead of having them local around you.

The good was with on DS/DSi: You can trigger the Wifi on and off using software, so it is only used when the developer needs to, while on the 3DS you have a hardware switch and you by yourself have to switch on or off.