Required Wiimmfi Patcher update for Mario Kart Wii

Still, you're circumventing a ban which is not allowed. Also, I would "expose" anybody who does what you were doing (if you like to call it like that) regardless of their gender/nationality/profile pic/whatever. It's not really different from reporting someone on "About banning".

@Leseratte can you say something about this?

Edit: This is probably also why you tried to use "Wiimmfi unbanner"

Edit: Screw this. It was not intended to go this far.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von 2x2Master ()

2x2Master77 schrieb:

Still, you're circumventing a ban which is not allowed. Also, I would "expose" anybody who does what you were doing (if you like to call it like that) regardless of their gender/nationality/profile pic/whatever. It's not really different from reporting someone on "About banning".

@Leseratte can you say something about this?

Edit: This is probably also why you tried to use "Wiimmfi unbanner"
      Said person could also have bought or acquired a different Wii to use as a new identity. This generally isn't looked down upon, and permanent bans on a "single person" rather than a single console are commonly handed out when said person would break Wiimmfi rules on many different Wiis or identities.
      Disclaimer: The image below is my forum signature and has no correlation to my original message or response.

@'2x2Master77 the main reason i said about the wiimmfi unbanner is because i thought u had to use that in order to un ban yourself (bare in mind i mean unban yourself by thinking your suppost to unban yourself because dolphin has a standard nand which isnt accepted on wiimmfi so i thought u unban yourself to change the nand, before you comment about your reasons about me obeying the rules of unbanning my self to play wiimmfi thinking im unbanning due to hacks on dolphin) watch any mkwii wiimmfi iso/wbfs tutorial and a few tutorials use the wiimmfi unbanner for the nand problem at the end of the video. If you honestly think im bull shitting or stuff like that then your stupid to think that im making this up for a free ban. This is my last response. And if i eventually get another ban or something i dont care cos im bored of this game anyway and wiimmfi altogether. I really wish nintendo kept wfc. Good day sir
      :43px-GCNController.svg: :23px-SDGecko.svg: :8px-Wiimote1.svg: :iwata:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von Kroolion ()

K, it's been awhile since I played, my Riivolution, which is how I did connect to Wiimmfi, is version 1.04 (Obviously Outdated), I'm trying to find the correct files to put on the SD Card to get everything I need, cuz the error code I am getting is 23904.

The main patched files I am trying to find is 'main.dol' and 'rel/StaticR.rel' , but can't seem to find it, do you know where I can go to to Download it, those specific files?

Any help greatly appreciated. XD
      No, the files are identical, as long as they are for the correct region. You can just run the new patcher and take the patched main.dol and StaticR.rel from the image.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Leseratte schrieb:

One NAND backup from a console can be shared between multiple Dolphin instances, so if you trust your friends not to do anything to get banned (because then you'd be banned as well) you can just take the NAND backup from your console and let them import it into Dolphin.

Sorry for the bump here.

Could I just copy my Dolphin folder (which is in portable mode) and give it to my friend, assuming he creates a new license? Or will he need to import my NAND backup to his Dolphin install and wait 7 days also?

Thanks

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von kashinoda ()

If Dolphin's in portable mode, then yeah, just copying the whole folder to a different computer should work. Your friend can then just delete the MKWii licenses (or the whole savegame) and make his own one.

Leseratte schrieb:

If Dolphin's in portable mode, then yeah, just copying the whole folder to a different computer should work. Your friend can then just delete the MKWii licenses (or the whole savegame) and make his own one.
      I managed to setup my Wii correctly and connect to Wiimmfi in MK:

• I backed up my NAND in BootMii
      • Imported the NAND to a fresh Dolphin install (5.0-12716)
      • Copied my MAC address from Wii to Dolphin.ini
      Loaded Mario Kart in Dolphin, using the same save from my NAND I tried to connect to Wiimmfi and got the 7 day code:

Do I still need to wait the 7 days if I have already connected on the Wii? That's fine if that's the case just checking if everything has been done correctly.

Thanks
      When did you first connect to Wiimmfi with your Wii? 13 hours ago?

The 7 day wait begins from the time that that NAND connects to Wiimmfi for the first time, whether that's on Wii or on Dolphin. For Wii, it's just not enforced.

So yes, if you've only just connected to Wiimmfi on your Wii 13 hours ago, you'll need wo wait the rest of the 7 days on Dolphin.

Hi,

During these tough times, I'd like to be able to play MKWii online with some friends.

Needless to say that I'll never be able to make every one of them find it's old Wii, a way to plug it into modern TVs, and homebrew it just to backup their NAND.

So I'm doing the work myself and I need infos about the "sharing your NAND" thing. The goal is to give them a plug and play package (with a portable Dolphin) with all my files already set up.

So they can use my NAND, but what about the MAC address ? Do they need to change it ? And I read that they would need to use another Wii friend code, how will they have to do that ? Will it work if they just create a new MK driver license ?

Thanks in advance :)
      They can just use your NAND and your MAC address. If you package a portable Dolphin for them, just set your MAC in the Dolphin.ini config.

They will need to use a different in-game friend code, and they can achieve that by creating a new MKWii license, that's correct. Easiest way would probably be to remove your MKWii savegame from the Dolphin folder you send them, that way they are forced to make their own license in the game when they first start it.

The usual warnings about NAND sharing apply, if one of your friends does something stupid with the NAND (like cheating online), all of you will get banned. Also, there are some limits about how many new profiles can be created for one console in a given time, so if you plan to give the NAND to many people they might need to spread out their initial first connection to Wiimmfi over a couple days if they start getting errors like 23913.

Not sure if this issue was brought up already, but I am having a very strange issue with my ISO and I believe it has something to do with this wiimmfi patch. So i have 2 iso's, one ntsc-u and the other Korean. My NTSC-U works perfectly fine, but recently my Korean iso just freezes every time I try to connect online. At first, it was just one license, but then my other license refused to connect online and I have tried re-patching, re-editing, and updating but nothing has worked so far. This started about a week ago and I haven't changed anything on my ISO for it to react this way.
      So... I'm making a post here because, quite bluntly, there's a point where this becomes bs.

Allow me to create a scenario for you. Wiis, obviously, are not in production any longer. Perhaps you can special order one from Nintendo for a hefty price, but most would turn to Amazon, Ebay, etc to buy a wii.

Let's say that someone is selling their wii for the sole purpose that they don't need it anymore, due to setting up with dolphin, legally dumping their games, and proceeding to sell the console.
      Now let's say that person ends up cheating on Wiimmfi for any reason, and gets their nand banned.

Now let's say I buy that very same wii, which would have the very same nand as the person who gets banned.

I go through all the steps to get the wii set up for dolphin, and discard it as it'd be a worthless hunk of plastic for me at that point. I get on MKW, and.. I'm banned. Meaning, at cheapest from prices I see from a quick google search, I've wasted $35 on a wii that didn't even do what I aimed to do, and now I have to shell out for another wii to try to find one that isn't banned, hoping the process doesn't repeat itself.

Wouldn't it be simpler to, for example, when the user patches their ISO, a unique HWID based NAND is generated, by your own systems, which can safely be used by PC users to play games on Wiimmfi? I'm fairly certain that if unbanners exist that generate new NANDS, it's no mystery on how to create a NAND.. OR perhaps use some form of "garbage" data patch for an existing NAND that's HWID based, and if the servers detect that you're using a generated or dolphin NAND they'll read the "garbage" data instead? Nintendo Wifi's servers are down anyways, and the only realistic situation a NAND would even be necessary is over Wiimmfi now, so the garbage data wouldn't be harmful in any way, and allows for unique identifiers for people trying to get unbanned.

Gamershy schrieb:

Wouldn't it be simpler to, for example, when the user patches their ISO, a unique HWID based NAND is generated, by your own systems, which can safely be used by PC users to play games on Wiimmfi?
      Sure, that would be easy to do. It would also be ridiculously easy for cheaters to circumvent, by just looking at how that ID is generated, or by just running that in a fuckton of virtual machines.
      Sure, we could do what you described as "garbage patch", but what data should we use for that? Random ID? Then cheaters make their own ones. Hard-code some specific identifiers of your computer, like drive serials? That'd A) need special code in Dolphin and B) can be circumvented by removing that code again.

If someone proposes an actual useful solution on how we can figure out if a user running your proposed "garbage data patch program" is a legitimate user who wants to begin using Wiimmfi, or if he is a known cheater who has been banned 5 times already, hey, we can implement that. But such a thing is technically impossible.

The issue of someone buying a banned Wii isn't really an issue at all. In 7 years of Wiimmfi that's only occured once or twice, and in both cases the ban was multiple years old and we just removed it.

How likely is it that someone buys a Wii to play Wiimmfi, dumps the NAND, plays online, cheats and gets banned; immediately sells that Wii on eBay, the buyer also wants to use Wiimmfi immediately and then wouldn't be able to do that because of a temporary ban? Also, even *if* that happens, that can happen with a PS3/PS4/PS5/XBox whatever, too. Nintendo bans your Switch from online play completely when you get banned for cheating, and when you buy a banned Switch you can sue the seller because he didn't tell you it was banned, done. Same for Wiimmfi. Or even with an iPhone or other smartphones (buying iCloud-locked / unusable devices). So why is that any different from a Wii, and why is it our job to fix that?

And regarding your other point, if Wiis ever become so scarce that you can't really buy Wiis anymore it'd be easily possible with some small changes in Dolphin to allow using 3DS / WiiU / Switch NANDs for Wiimmfi, so there'd still be some unique hardware that can be banned when the user cheats.

Leseratte schrieb:

Gamershy schrieb:

Wouldn't it be simpler to, for example, when the user patches their ISO, a unique HWID based NAND is generated, by your own systems, which can safely be used by PC users to play games on Wiimmfi?
      Sure, that would be easy to do. It would also be ridiculously easy for cheaters to circumvent, by just looking at how that ID is generated, or by just running that in a fuckton of virtual machines.Sure, we could do what you described as "garbage patch", but what data should we use for that? Random ID? Then cheaters make their own ones. Hard-code some specific identifiers of your computer, like drive serials? That'd A) need special code in Dolphin and B) can be circumvented by removing that code again.

If someone proposes an actual useful solution on how we can figure out if a user running your proposed "garbage data patch program" is a legitimate user who wants to begin using Wiimmfi, or if he is a known cheater who has been banned 5 times already, hey, we can implement that. But such a thing is technically impossible.

The issue of someone buying a banned Wii isn't really an issue at all. In 7 years of Wiimmfi that's only occured once or twice, and in both cases the ban was multiple years old and we just removed it.

How likely is it that someone buys a Wii to play Wiimmfi, dumps the NAND, plays online, cheats and gets banned; immediately sells that Wii on eBay, the buyer also wants to use Wiimmfi immediately and then wouldn't be able to do that because of a temporary ban? Also, even *if* that happens, that can happen with a PS3/PS4/PS5/XBox whatever, too. Nintendo bans your Switch from online play completely when you get banned for cheating, and when you buy a banned Switch you can sue the seller because he didn't tell you it was banned, done. Same for Wiimmfi. Or even with an iPhone or other smartphones (buying iCloud-locked / unusable devices). So why is that any different from a Wii, and why is it our job to fix that?

And regarding your other point, if Wiis ever become so scarce that you can't really buy Wiis anymore it'd be easily possible with some small changes in Dolphin to allow using 3DS / WiiU / Switch NANDs for Wiimmfi, so there'd still be some unique hardware that can be banned when the user cheats.
      I'm personally not sure of what a NAND looks like on the inside, but the garbage data could genuinely be a unique ID generated and pre-verified upon generation with the Wiimmfi servers, meaning a fresh generation would be outright useless without it being verified. Using the HWID as a seed of sorts could help prevent hackers from generating a new one. On top of this, it's incredibly easy to actually detect VM usage, through a myriad of methods that'd be too long to ever list here, meaning you could easily prevent the program from patching a NAND if it detects it's running through a VM. While, obviously, it's still possible to create a VM that's undetectable, it takes a lot of knowledge and skill to do so. There's no surefire way to permanently ban hackers, as they'll always find a way around it. I'm quite certain that, given enough time, hackers may be able to make a new "unban mii" styled program that generates NANDs that are undetectable by your systems. There's plenty of far more user-friendly methods than saying "You need a real NAND or you're screwed, soz". A pre-verification system would mean that the patcher would need to be online-only, of course, but would also help in removing the aggravating 7 day wait period for console verification, as the verification process would be done essentially instantly when the NAND is patched. It'd also mean that people that already created a bad, or generated, NAND would have an easier time getting on. Of course, it'd mean that people who used generators in the past and got banned would be able to get unbanned again, unless of course you ensure that already banned NANDs remain banned. Though then they could easily just get a fresh Dolphin NAND. It won't be a 100% easy fix, and no matter what changing the method that you check for hackers would mean that old hackers have a second chance of sorts, but again, it'd allow people who either lost access to their Wiis ages ago (Hi, that's me), or simply don't have the knowledge to properly set up a NAND dump to more easily gain access to playing their old favorites online again.
      A lot of what you wrote is true, but the question remains - even if we have an easy way to detect VMs - how do you detect people running that generation tool multiple times on the same PC. Even if it was online-only, what does that help us? If that tool talks to Wiimmfi and says "Hey, I'm running on the computer with ID 183732932894378946", how does Wiimmfi know A) that it's actually running on that computer and someone didn't mod the tool to just send a random number to Wiimmfi instead and B) how does Wiimmfi know the user didn't change that ID on his computer?

You just need to Google for stuff like "HWID changer" and you find dozens of tools being able to modify and spoof whatever identifier you want on your computer. Large gaming companies / publishers, with closed-source games, are unable to implement non-circumventable hardware bans, so we - two developers working on Wiimmfi in our free time, for an open-source software (Dolphin Emulator) - definitely don't have the time (and probably also not the knowledge) to do that.

A tool running on your computer can try collecting some information from your computer - FS UUID, user SID, mainboard / RAM or anything else - but if the user has root rights on their own machine, which they almost always do, they can just change all these, or just add debug hooks to that tool to replace that information with some other random ID instead.

If hackers manage to create a new "unban mii" program that actually works on Wiimmfi, I'd be very surprised. But even if, just because it might be theoretically possible for someone to circumvent our systems at some point in the future doesn't mean we should throw them out the window and replace them with a worse method just because.

Eh, you do have a fair point, and quite frankly I'm surprised you're only two people, I thought you'd at least have a small team working together. That's quite impressive, I must say.

I'm just trying to throw ideas around to see what might stick, or help spark some new idea for you guys so that people like me are more capable of playing online again, especially those of us that are so broke that we're unable to afford a new Wii, even one that's just $35 lmao. So apologies if any of my thoughts came across as demeaning or aggressive.

Though, an idea I could think of is with the NAND generator, maybe have some sort of hidden, embedded identification within the ID it has? Something that, without knowing what you're looking for, it'd be unable to be found. Also, as you said, with all those methods of identifying a person's machine... what if you somehow used all of them in combination, while still keeping each individual one identifiable?

As I said, I'm not certain of what a NAND looks like internally, as far as I'm aware, if could simply be a string of characters. Though, if that's the case, then have "parts" that are generated and then combined. Say for example:
      HWID generates the first 16 characters of the unique ID
      FS UUID: generates the next 8
      user SID: Next 12
      Other identifiers could then generate an arbitrary number of characters in the ID
      Then, to hide this, it could all be shuffled around, along with some form of "imprinted" ID, that could be generated based on the surrounding characters, which uses some form of basic algorithm, (or complex), that can be reversed by the servers to ensure that the ID is 100% genuine.

On top of this, given how many people use Wiimmfi, I'm quite certain that whatever hardware you have employed would definitely be able to handle possibly running the generation server-side. The patcher could simply be a communication method to tell the server "Hey, I got this data, generate this for me", the server then generates it, and sends it back, all while masking that fact to the average user who hasn't decompiled the patcher. And even if someone does decompile the patcher, because all the generation code is server-side, they'd have no way to decompile and reconstruct a fake patcher, and because of how many parts are used in making the ID, it'd be very unlikely for someone to change their entire system IDs just to play some Wii games.
      As for why I'd recommend using multiple ID methods to generate parts of the NAND or garbage data: Internally the servers could simply check for each individual segment of the ID, no two IDs should have any section of the generation be identical unless the same ID was used to generate that part. So if I were to say, change my HWID, then the server would see that the HWID section was changed, but then detect that everythign else was the same, and deny it. To add salt to the wound, you could even allow the generation to complete, only for it to fail when put into the game. The shuffling would simply be to hide how the segments are generated and the server could have a preset shuffling algorithm that it's easily capable of reversing to properly read the segments of the ID.

I have no clue how complex something like this could be, but it's an idea at the very least.
      One of the issues I immediately see with your idea would be accidental ID changes. The more hardware IDs you include in a system like that, the higher is the chance that it changes randomly by accident. Formatted your harddrive? Additional harddrive? Switched out a broken RAM module? Created a new user account / changed user account? That's all stuff that happens regularly., so we can't just make it say like "okay, one of the 20 IDs changed so that must be a hacker". We'd be blocking basically all users after a short while when doing it that way, without a way to figure out if an ID changed because a user actually did something that caused that, or because someone is trying to hack.

And even if the generation itself is server-side, all they'd need to do is take the tool, find every instance where it goes like "Hey windows give me the drive ID" and replace that with "hey use this random string". Then the server would still believe that that'd be the user's drive ID.

I'm repeating myself - large companies like Valve for PC online gaming haven't really figured out a working, reliable, un-hackable method to that yet, and it'd be easier for them as their games are closed-source. Our client parts (Dolphin Emulator plus the Wiimmfi patcher) are all open-source, so people can look up how it works, and get around it.

And we'd rather spend our time implementinig actual features that lots of people can use, instead of watering down our ban system just for the very very small percentage of people who own MKWii and want to play it online but don't own a Wii and refuse to buy one / are unable to buy one.

Alright alright, you've got a point. May as well just stop here then. Just tryin is all.

Though, at no point did I say that if an ID become invalid, it bans you. Obviously things change, but the garbage data wouldn't be regenerated every time you change out a pc part. Only time it'd be regenerated is if you did so manually. If you've been banned, however, it'd check for all the possible IDs rather than just one.