Warnings before I downgrade

• Offen

Warnings before I downgrade

As of now, I have a 4.1 JPN Wii with BootMii installed, all the IOS's up until IOS61 that were provided in your wad manager german mod. Whenever I try to play my NTSC GC games off of Gecko OS, every game keeps telling me that I need to reformat my card with all of it's save data on it.

If there's anyway this can be resolved without downgrading, that would be much appreciated. Though, I do not want to change regions cause I do have some JPN GC games; my Wii will always block games no matter what region I change it to. If no option outside of downgrading doesn't work, I am willing to go through the trouble of downgrading to firmware 2.2, the last firmware that didn't block my Freeloader GC for the Wii. I'm hoping that would work, but I would like to know what I'm getting into before I do so.

So when I downgrade, will all the IOS's that didn't exist around the time of 2.2 be deleted? Will I be able to install IOS's that were released beyond firmware 2.2 like IOS 36 to play Mario Kart Wii or IOS 30 for USB keyboard compatibility?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Unknown64 ()

I am not sure if I completely understood what you want to do / what the problem is. If you have a JPN Wii and a GC memory card with save games from JPN gamecube games, then you cannot also use the same memory card for NTSC-U gamecube games, as they will prompt you to reformat the card (as you've already noticed). However, I highly doubt the Freeloader GC would fix that issue.

Easiest would probably be getting an additional GC memory card for NTSC-U and PAL games (those can be kept together on one card) and keep the JPN savegames on the card you already have.

If you still want to downgrade, be aware that some Wiis (that already came with firmware 3.4 or higher) are unable to boot a firmware <3.4 and downgrading such a Wii to 2.2 will brick it. However, I don't think that that is going to solve the problem that your US games want to erase the JPN memory card.

If you do downgrade (and your Wii can boot such an old firmware), you can still keep newer IOS on the Wii and will be able to use IOS36 to play MKWii, but not IOS30 for USB keyboard stuff. Well you can keep IOS30 but the system menu 2.2 isn't going to use IOS30 and thus it won't have USB keyboard support.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

My apologies. I was under the impression that Gecko OS, on my JPN Wii, can play my NTSC GC games and successfully read the NTSC save data on my memory card. Unfortunately, I can't do that. What would you recommend that I do?

Also, how can I tell that my Wii was preset with firmware 3.4 without figuring out by bricking my Wii? If I got brick detection from BootMii, should I be impervious to bricks?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Unknown64 ()

The easiest solution would probably be getting another memory card and using one for japanese games and one for others. I don't know of any way to get japanese and non-japanese savegames onto one memory card.

You could also try using tools like Nintendont, which should allow you to save your GC savegames onto a standard SD card instead of onto a memory card, but I haven't used that myself and don't exactly know how that works.

If your Wii supports Bootmii@boot2, you have bootmii installed in boot2, and you install 3.2 and a matching, non-stubbed IOS using a WAD manager, you should be safe and Bootmii will still be there and boot in case your Wii can't load 3.2. Just make sure not to update/downgrade your boot2 as that would remove Bootmii. And use a homebrew WAD manager like YAWMM and no tools from the Nintendo SDKs as they sometimes mess something up in that case.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

I'm not trying to have save data from all regions coexist in one memory card. Whenever I want to play NTSC games, I transfer the JPN save data to my SD using the MC backup app. Then I transfer the NTSC data from my SD card to my memory card.

Essentially, I make sure to separate save data from different regions before I play any game. When I play NTSC games, I make sure NTSC is the only data in my memory card. Even then, my NTSC games are refusing to read my NTSC save data.

I've installed every IOS that the Ultimate Downloader provided, and installed boot2. Am I good to go?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Unknown64 ()