[BETA] Wiimmfi over the disc channel using Priiloader

[BETA] Wiimmfi over the disc channel using Priiloader

Over the last month I implemented a Wiimmfi patcher hack for the Priiloader, and me and DacoTaco added lots of changes to the Priiloader in order to support this patcher hack.

Priiloader is a software that, when installed, sits between the boot2 and the Wii System Menu. It can be installed on Wii and Wii Mini (not on WiiU) and it can apply run-time patches to the System Menu. I wrote a new patch for the Priiloader that allows the System Menu to patch any inserted disc for Wiimmfi automatically.

That means, when the new Priiloader is installed and the Wiimmfi patch is enabled in the Priiloader settings, any Wii game you boot through the disc channel (this does not work with WiiWare or VC games) will be able to connect to Wiimmfi without the need of another Wiimmfi patcher. While being a bit more difficult to set up (because you need the Homebrew Channel, and you need to install system software like Priiloader), it is easier to use than other Wiimmfi patchers once it's set up, because nothing changes compared to connecting to the original servers - just start the game and play.

The beta version of the Priiloader and the included Wiimmfi patch is ready, and I'm now looking for beta testers with different regions (both Wii regions and Wii game regions) and with different games (both Wiimmfi-compatible ones to see if they connect to Wiimmfi, as well as non-online games to verify that this patch doesn't break them). If you'd like to test this new Wiimmfi patcher, please follow the instructions below.

Currently, the required Priiloader version is in BETA and it includes lots of changes to the previous, stable version. It has been tested on many Wiis and Priiloader itself seems to work stable. However, because Priiloader is an application that boots before the System Menu, there is still a slight chance that this could brick your Wii.

If you still wish to test, follow these instructions:
      1. Make sure your Wii has firmware 4.1 or newer (4.1, 4.2 or 4.3; in any region). System Menu versions below 4.1 are not supported by this Wiimmfi patch
      2. Make a Bootmii NAND backup just to be sure
      3. Download the priiloader-0.9-beta3.zip from the attachment and extract it onto your SD card
      4. Open the Homebrew Channel, start the Priiloader 0.9 beta3 installer. Then press "+" on the Wiimote (or "A" on the Gamecube Controller) to install the Priiloader.
      5. When it is installed, press A to return to the Homebrew Channel, then turn your console off.
      6. Turn the console back on while holding down the RESET button. Priiloader should start
      7. Go to "System Menu Hacks", navigate down to "Wiimmfi Patch v1 - SUB for XXX" (XXX is a number corresponding to your System Menu version), then press A to enable it.
      8. If you want, you can also enable some of the other useful hacks like "Block disc updates" and "block online updates" so you don't accidentally update your Wii.
      9. Move down to "Save settings", press A to save, then press B to return to the main menu
      10. Select "System Menu" to get into the System Menu
      If everything worked according to plan, you should now be in the normal Wii System Menu. Priiloader has now saved your hack settings, that means, the Wiimmfi patch is now automatically active when you start the console and go into the Wii System Menu.

You can now start any (Wiimmfi-supported) Wii game in the disc channel, and you should be able to connect to Wiimmfi. If there are any problems that prevent games from booting, you can go back into the Priiloader by holding RESET during start, and disable the Wiimmfi patch hack again.

As of now, I have tested this hack on my Wii with 4.3E with a PAL copy of Mario Kart Wii; and on Dolphin (4.1U) with an USA image. I'm hoping to get some more testers from other regions so we can test both the other system menu regions, and the other game regions. If you have an out-of-region game disc (for example, a japanese copy of Mario Kart Wii and an american console) you can also try to enable the "Region Free Wii Games" hack in the Priiloader and test that as well.

If you've tested any game, please report here what firmware version you used (including region), what region your game is from, what game it was, and if it worked successfully. If it doesn't work properly, please go back into the Priiloader, go into the Settings, enable "dump gecko output", then go into the system menu and try again, and then send me the "prii.log" log file on your SD card.

I'm hoping to include this new Wiimmfi patch in the final 0.9 version of Priiloader once it's been tested some more.

EDIT: This feature is now available in Priiloader 0.9, so when you download and install that you'll be able to enable the Wiimmfi Patch hack.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

My patch seems to have a slight bug that causes it only to work with Mario Kart Wii, not with other games. I'll post an updated patch later today.

I really wish one of my Wiis had a boot1 that's able to install BootMii as boot2, but alas, neither of them do. I would've loved to help test this as this is something I've wanted to see for years but I cannot risk a brick (if I had a third Wii, I'd gladly sacrifice it but I like to have at least one backup).

Best wishes to the testers and progress of this!
      Yeah, that bootmii@boot2 recommendation is just while this is in early beta. It should work fine, but during development and testing there have been builds that randomly froze while in Priiloader, and if that were to happen all the time, you wouldn't have any way to escape that. In a couple days when this version has been tested on a few more Wiis it should be safe to install without Bootmii, too.

There is now a new version of the hacks_hash.ini for the Priiloader in the 1st post (reinstall not required if you're already on 0.9 beta 3, just replace the hacks_hash.ini file), that should work with other games as well.

Thanks for testing so far. The NTSC-U patch for MKWii had a bug. Can you re-test this version here?
      EDIT: Apparently this one freezes as well. Damn.

outdated patch deleted, check last post

Here's a new patch.

Tested it on Dolphin using a 4.3U system menu and an emulated NTSC-U disc, did no longer freeze at the strap screen. I can't go online in Dolphin with non-PAL discs to test this though.

outdated patch deleted, check last post

I was finally able to test this patch with a japanese and a korean copy of MKWii yesterday (which was successful), so Priiloader 0.9 with this feature will probably be released soon.

Habe MKW (PAL-Version) getestet. Meine Wii ist auf 4.3E. Hat größtenteils funktioniert. Nur ein paar Funktionen funktionieren nicht:
      • Geistdaten bei den Zeitfahren-Ranglisten herunterladen funktioniert nicht, normale Random-Geistdaten durch den Geistrennen-Eintrag im Mario Kart-Kanal herunterladen funktioniert super, nur eben bei den Ranglisten nicht
      • Manchmal funktionieren Freundesrennen nicht. Ich hab keine Ahnung, ob das an dem Patcher liegt, oder an anderen Faktoren. Ich denke mal, der Patcher ist nicht dran schuld, da es kompletter Zufall ist, wann es mal funktioniert und wann nicht, aber ich erwähne es trotzdem mal
      Danke für die Meldung. Geistdaten sind momentan nicht nur mit dem Priiloader-Patcher teilweise kaputt. Das ist vermutlich eher eine Macke auf dem Server, aber Wiimm hatte bisher leider noch keine Zeit sich das anzuschauen.

Den Fehler in Freundesrennen würde ich auch eher als Zufall / Verbindungsprobleme abtun. Worin genau äußert sich der Fehler denn? Kannst du dem Freundesraum nicht beitreten? Fliegst du mit Fehlercodes (z. B. 86420) wieder raus?

Der Fehler selber wird einfach immer als "Du konntest dich nicht mit deinem Freund treffen. Bitte versuche es später noch einmal." angezeigt, sobald man versucht, einem Freund zu joinen. Manchmal tritt der Fehler bei mir auf, wenn ich versuche zu joinen, manchmal bei Freunden, die meinem Raum versuchen zu joinen, die ebenfalls den Priiloader-Patcher verwenden.
      Das klingt für mich danach, als würdest du einfach versuchen jemandem beizutreten, der gerade zwischen zwei Rennen (z. B. in der Streckenauswahl) ist, dann kommt genau diese Meldung.

Das ist bei den anderen Hacks aufgrund ihrer Funktionsweise so.

Die anderen Hacks ändern alle nur bestehende Funktionalität im Systemmenü ab oder entfernt bestehende Sperren / Codeteile - die sind relativ leicht anzupassen, man muss einfach nur die Systemmenüs miteinander vergleichen und schauen was sich wo geändert hat.

Der Wiimmfi-Hack passt aber keine bestehende Funktion an sondern bringt einen ganzen Batzen Code mit - und ist damit auch mit Abstand der größte Hack im Priiloader.

Den anzupassen hat nix damit zu tun wie sicher der Priiloader funktioniert, sondern nur damit, wann ich dafür Zeit finde. Ich schaue mal dass ich das zeitnah hinbekomme.