Required Wiimmfi Patcher update for non-MKWii games
Some of you may still remember the Mario Kart Wii patcher update back in 2018 (see here), when we released new patchers for Mario Kart Wii which fixed a couple security issues in Mario Kart Wii and allowed us to auto-update the game over the Wiimmfi server. This patcher update only applied to Mario Kart Wii back then.
Unfortunately, a similar security issue has now been found in most other Wii games. To our knowledge, this security issue hasn't been abused on Wiimmfi so far, but of course we can't guarantee that it'll stay that way in the future. If hackers were able to abuse said security issue, that'd mean they could theoretically brick your Wii just by being in the same room as you are. And, same as for Mario Kart Wii back in 2018, there's not much the server can do to prevent that, as it doesn't control what the players are sending to eachother.
This means that there will be - yet again - a new set of Wiimmfi patchers. Mario Kart Wii (and CT packs like CTGP, Wiimms MKW Fun or any other CT pack) does NOT need these new patchers (we can patch MKWii through the server thanks to the patcher update in 2018). However, most other Wii games WILL need these new patchers. And even if you only plan to play Mario Kart Wii on Wiimmfi, it might still be worth it to use the new patchers, as they have a couple new features as well - mainly, most of the new patchers support UPnP to improve connection stability.
Currently we do not have a complete list about which games will need these new patchers and which games won't; but it's easy for you to notice when a game needs to be re-patched: The game will display error code 23904 if it needs to be re-patched. This means that if you receive error code 23904 on any non-Mario-Kart-Wii game after today, that means you need to apply a new Wiimmfi patch to your game, same as you did for Mario Kart Wii in 2018.
What you need to do now
Games that have said security issue will no longer be able to connect to Wiimmfi with the old patchers. This means, if you don't update your game, you will no longer be able to access Wiimmfi and you will see an error message (error 23904) when trying to connect with a vulnerable game. While this may cause problems for players who have had their Wii prepared for Wiimmfi by someone else and don't know how to fix it themselves, this cut-off is necessary because there is the real risk of hardware damage (bricks) caused by cheaters.
To continue using Wiimmfi in all games, please check this list of new patchers that we've released just now.
New features in these new patchers
Other than the Mario Kart Wii update in 2018, these new patchers don't auto-update themselves. The Mario Kart Wii patcher can do that because it's explicitly been written for that particular game, but making auto-updating patchers for all games would be way too difficult. However, even though these patchers don't auto-update, they still contain a couple of new features and/or bugfixes:
- Feature: Mario Kart Wii, SSBB and Animal Crossing now support UPnP to increase connection stability. If you run into any issues with UPnP, you'll be able to skip it by pressing B in the disc patcher before the game starts (disc patchers only).
- Feature: When playing CoD: Black Ops, CoD: Modern Warfare Reflex, CoD: Modern Warfare 3, CoD: World At War, Rock Band 3 or The Beatles: Rock Band through this patcher, the games will now connect to their original servers with InvoxiPlayGames' error 23400 fix patch (This feature is NOT included in the Priiloader hack or in USB Loader patchers, but it is included in any of the disc patchers / ISO patchers).
- Note that playing ANY of the Call of Duty games, Rock Band 3 or The Beatles: Rock Band will cause your Wii to connect to non-Wiimmfi servers (operated by the game publishers), and playing CoD: World At War will additionally connect to a proxy server operated by InvoxiPlayGames which is also not operated by Wiimmfi. The Wiimmfi team is not responsible for anything that happens on these servers.
- Bugfix: Games will be booted under the proper IOS, this should fix USB keyboard or USB microphone issues (disc patchers only)
- Bugfix: Remove annoying 51420 error in Mario Kart Wii (all patchers)
- Bugfix: Out-of-region games (games with a different region than your Wii) sometimes didn't work correctly (disc patchers only)
- Bugfix: Having an unreliable disc drive / scratched disc / ... sometimes crashed the patcher (disc patchers only)
- Bugfix: Enabling MKWii competitions didn't always work when running the game through a patcher (all patchers)
- Bugfix: The ISO patcher sometimes didn't work correctly on MacOS
If something doesn't work
We've announced the server maintenance for today in order to be able to have a coordinated release of all the patchers and announcements at the same time. As soon as that maintenance period is over, you will start to receive error 23904 if you're using a vulnerable, unpatched game.
If you receive unusual error codes other than 23XXX please try again in one or two minutes. If you still can't connect to Wiimmfi, and there is no post about this in this thread, please post here with as much information as possible (game name and region, approximate time, patcher used, console serial number, error code) to help us find out why the error happens.
If you CAN connect to Wiimmfi but matchmaking with other players fails (for example, you are unable to join your friend's match even though that worked just fine before today), please let us know as well, and tell us what game, region and patcher you are using. Due to the fact that these new patchers have to be able to identify and fix the security issue in lots of different Wii games, most of which Wiimm and me do not own; we haven't been able to test these new patchers with all games that Wiimmfi supports, so it's entirely possible that the new patchers break matchmaking in a very small number of games. If that occurs, we just need to know about it so we can implement a bugfix.
For Dolphin players, there shouldn't be any issues with these new patchers. Other than the 2018 update, these new patchers don't change anything about how Dolphin works, and Mario Kart Wii is still the only game that strictly requires a real Wii or WiiU NAND backup.