Required Wiimmfi patcher update for a bunch of games

Required Wiimmfi patcher update for a bunch of games

Required Wiimmfi Patcher update for non-MKWii games

Some of you may still remember the Mario Kart Wii patcher update back in 2018 (see here), when we released new patchers for Mario Kart Wii which fixed a couple security issues in Mario Kart Wii and allowed us to auto-update the game over the Wiimmfi server. This patcher update only applied to Mario Kart Wii back then.

Unfortunately, a similar security issue has now been found in most other Wii games. To our knowledge, this security issue hasn't been abused on Wiimmfi so far, but of course we can't guarantee that it'll stay that way in the future. If hackers were able to abuse said security issue, that'd mean they could theoretically brick your Wii just by being in the same room as you are. And, same as for Mario Kart Wii back in 2018, there's not much the server can do to prevent that, as it doesn't control what the players are sending to eachother.

This means that there will be - yet again - a new set of Wiimmfi patchers. Mario Kart Wii (and CT packs like CTGP, Wiimms MKW Fun or any other CT pack) does NOT need these new patchers (we can patch MKWii through the server thanks to the patcher update in 2018). However, most other Wii games WILL need these new patchers. And even if you only plan to play Mario Kart Wii on Wiimmfi, it might still be worth it to use the new patchers, as they have a couple new features as well - mainly, most of the new patchers support UPnP to improve connection stability.

Currently we do not have a complete list about which games will need these new patchers and which games won't; but it's easy for you to notice when a game needs to be re-patched: The game will display error code 23904 if it needs to be re-patched. This means that if you receive error code 23904 on any non-Mario-Kart-Wii game after today, that means you need to apply a new Wiimmfi patch to your game, same as you did for Mario Kart Wii in 2018.

What you need to do now

Games that have said security issue will no longer be able to connect to Wiimmfi with the old patchers. This means, if you don't update your game, you will no longer be able to access Wiimmfi and you will see an error message (error 23904) when trying to connect with a vulnerable game. While this may cause problems for players who have had their Wii prepared for Wiimmfi by someone else and don't know how to fix it themselves, this cut-off is necessary because there is the real risk of hardware damage (bricks) caused by cheaters.

To continue using Wiimmfi in all games, please check this list of new patchers that we've released just now.

New features in these new patchers

Other than the Mario Kart Wii update in 2018, these new patchers don't auto-update themselves. The Mario Kart Wii patcher can do that because it's explicitly been written for that particular game, but making auto-updating patchers for all games would be way too difficult. However, even though these patchers don't auto-update, they still contain a couple of new features and/or bugfixes:
      • Feature: Mario Kart Wii, SSBB and Animal Crossing now support UPnP to increase connection stability. If you run into any issues with UPnP, you'll be able to skip it by pressing B in the disc patcher before the game starts (disc patchers only).
      • Feature: When playing CoD: Black Ops, CoD: Modern Warfare Reflex, CoD: Modern Warfare 3, CoD: World At War, Rock Band 3 or The Beatles: Rock Band through this patcher, the games will now connect to their original servers with InvoxiPlayGames' error 23400 fix patch (This feature is NOT included in the Priiloader hack or in USB Loader patchers, but it is included in any of the disc patchers / ISO patchers).
      • Note that playing ANY of the Call of Duty games, Rock Band 3 or The Beatles: Rock Band will cause your Wii to connect to non-Wiimmfi servers (operated by the game publishers), and playing CoD: World At War will additionally connect to a proxy server operated by InvoxiPlayGames which is also not operated by Wiimmfi. The Wiimmfi team is not responsible for anything that happens on these servers.
      • Bugfix: Games will be booted under the proper IOS, this should fix USB keyboard or USB microphone issues (disc patchers only)
      • Bugfix: Remove annoying 51420 error in Mario Kart Wii (all patchers)
      • Bugfix: Out-of-region games (games with a different region than your Wii) sometimes didn't work correctly (disc patchers only)
      • Bugfix: Having an unreliable disc drive / scratched disc / ... sometimes crashed the patcher (disc patchers only)
      • Bugfix: Enabling MKWii competitions didn't always work when running the game through a patcher (all patchers)
      • Bugfix: The ISO patcher sometimes didn't work correctly on MacOS

If something doesn't work

We've announced the server maintenance for today in order to be able to have a coordinated release of all the patchers and announcements at the same time. As soon as that maintenance period is over, you will start to receive error 23904 if you're using a vulnerable, unpatched game.

If you receive unusual error codes other than 23XXX please try again in one or two minutes. If you still can't connect to Wiimmfi, and there is no post about this in this thread, please post here with as much information as possible (game name and region, approximate time, patcher used, console serial number, error code) to help us find out why the error happens.

If you CAN connect to Wiimmfi but matchmaking with other players fails (for example, you are unable to join your friend's match even though that worked just fine before today), please let us know as well, and tell us what game, region and patcher you are using. Due to the fact that these new patchers have to be able to identify and fix the security issue in lots of different Wii games, most of which Wiimm and me do not own; we haven't been able to test these new patchers with all games that Wiimmfi supports, so it's entirely possible that the new patchers break matchmaking in a very small number of games. If that occurs, we just need to know about it so we can implement a bugfix.

For Dolphin players, there shouldn't be any issues with these new patchers. Other than the 2018 update, these new patchers don't change anything about how Dolphin works, and Mario Kart Wii is still the only game that strictly requires a real Wii or WiiU NAND backup.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

If you're going to update the ISO/WBFS patchers again, you should fix this grammar issue that is present in the Spanish texts (es and mx). When you patch MKWii, the text "Accediendo a la Conexión Wi-Fi de Nintendo" changes to:

"Accediendo a la Wiimmfi"
      Which is incorrect. It should be:

"Accediendo a Wiimmfi"

Because if you remove the words "Conexión Wi-Fi", then the word "la" mustn't be there anymore.

This is just a small thing that has been bugging me since 2018 ^^ .
      My english is bad... Sorry for that :wacko:
      Matchmaking is broken on Mario Sports Mix after the update (at least more than before) I am using the Disk Patcher, and NTSC-U. The random matchmaking has been broken for a really long time now, but after the security update, I am now unable to join friend rooms too, as the game now loops on the please wait screen, presumably forever even though I could join friend rooms just fine before (albeit rather slowly).

Iceman100x schrieb:

Hi how do you get this patcher working? It has no instructions, and is missing the files that you need to patch the games.
      The ISO patcher isn't missing files. Just put your game images into the folder, then open the patch-images.bat file.

VGmaster schrieb:

Matchmaking is broken on Mario Sports Mix after the update (at least more than before) I am using the Disk Patcher, and NTSC-U. The random matchmaking has been broken for a really long time now, but after the security update, I am now unable to join friend rooms too, as the game now loops on the please wait screen, presumably forever even though I could join friend rooms just fine before (albeit rather slowly).
      Interesting. I'll take a look at that game and see what I can find.

@VGmaster We've updated the new patchers, friend matchmaking is now working again in Mario Sports Mix. Random matching isn't working due to a Wiimmfi bug, we'll look into that in the future.

I have been having issues in Fortune Street after patching my game with the new patcher. I was connecting to someone for a game but after clicking begin the game, but it would never progress to the next screen. The person I was playing with was using a disk with the disk patcher on a vwii and I was playing on a patched ROM in dolphin.
      Which exact patcher did you use to do that? We know that the ISO patcher v7 and v7.1, as well as the disc patcher v0.7 had a bug that can cause this issue in a couple games, and yesterday we've released bugfixes (ISO patcher v7.2 and disc patcher v0.7.1) that should fix these issues. If this game (Fortune Street) was indeed affected by that bug, you'll both need the most recent patchers to make the bug go away.

EDIT: I can confirm that friend matching in Fortune Street definitely works if both players are using the most up-to-date patchers.

Important notice: The patcher sadly has another bug that breaks random matchmaking for a bunch of games, including Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. We'll be releasing another update as soon as possible.

Hi Leseratte,

in the Fortune Street modding community we use a wrapper tool called CSMM (https://github.com/FortuneStreetModding/csmm-qt) to patch Fortune Street isos for Wiimmfi. The tool CSMM downloads the wit binaries from https://wit.wiimm.de/wit/ and uses it to apply the wiimmfi patch to isos (and do a bunch of other hacks as well).
      Now I have checked the wit.wiimm.de website but it appears there is no new version of wit. So does this patcher zip contain a new unrealeased version of wit? Should we adapt our CSMM wrapper tool to download this new patcher zip file instead?
      Note: The Wiimmfi patchers have now all been updated again, fixing the matchmaking issues in Tatsunoko vs Capcom (and potentially in other games as well).

@Deflaktor: The WIT version that's used in the Wiimmfi patcher is currenty not released as "official" WIT build, that's correct. I imagine that in a week or two, when we aren't making changes to WIT every other day (because we find more and more bugs in the patcher) Wiimm will make a new "full" release and put up a new update on his homepage.

So if you wait a while WIT on the WIT homepage will be updated, but if you want to get that CSMM tool working immediately, you could also make it just download the wiimmfi patcher v7.3 from Wiimmfi to take the WIT binary from that. If you do that, please make sure that your User Agent string your tool is using is meaningful and useful (contains a proper tool name and maybe the github URL, and not a spoofed browser user agent or something).

With the update that corrected most of the games, did it fixed Sonic Riders Zero Gravity? My friend had error 99904 each time he tried to enter in the online even with good connection, it was the USA version in USB Loader GX patched with the 7.2 patcher.

And I have a problem myself, in the Auto-Wiimmfi Patcher in the Internet Channel exploit, for some reason now is so unstable for me, I have good connection and most of the time it doesn't go beyond 6/7, and when it does this appear often:
      (Sorry for the quality, my camera is not the best)

And even when the patcher loads it can stuck just saying "Auto Wiimmfi Patcher..." and all the first two rows of what normally appears. This happen to me with the Homebrew version too.

And rarely, when it loads correctly and everything goes fine, it can not start the game even if the disc was already running.

I don't know if that happens because my Wii tend to stuck often, but that didn't happen to me before with the older version of the patcher.

The str2hax one tends to run good most of the time, though, but I don't want to change the RC24 DNS to send ghosts.
      Error 99904? That sounds interesting, that's the first time I hear about that error code.
      Though I'm also not seeing any logins for that game within the last week. I'll try to find out a bit more about why that game might be broken.

As for the crash image you posted, no idea where that error comes from. This is from the exploit itself, before the Auto Wiimmfi Patcher even starts, and the code for that hasn't been changed in a long time.

Also, the actual patcher executable is identical in the Internet Channel exploit, the str2hax exploit and the downloadable binary so it's interesting to hear that one of them works better than the others.

On what exact screen do you get stuck when the patcher itself starts successfully?

With "my Wii tends to get stuck often", does that include outside of the Wiimmfi patcher during "normal" operation? If so, then it might be a hardware issue with your Wii and nothing related to the Wiimmfi patcher.

For the record, that error appeared to my friend everytime he tries to connect in that game, no other error appeared, and the error drops fast.

When the patcher starts successfully, it can be in three ways:
      • The patcher starts but there's only the text of "Automatic Wiimmfi Patcher...", it would be the first two rows of text, and that's it, it does nothing nor read anything. This is the most common for me and it happens to me in the Internet Channel and the Homebrew version of the patcher. Maybe it happened to me in the EULA one but I'm not sure.
      • The patcher starts, read the disc and enable UpNp and then... Blackscreen and the game doesn't boot. This only happened to me in the Internet one but I think it can happen in the Homebrew one.
      • The crash screen you already saw.

And yes, about my Wii getting stuck often happens outside of the Wiimmfi Patcher, mostly when entering in the Homebrew or Internet Channel and nothing boots, this include launching Homebrew apps in the Homebrew Channel. This start to happen a bit after installing RC24, and my friend is in the same boat with it. Not sure why it happens though, our hardware wasn't damaged then and nowadays either. Well, my a little and now it detects the SD Card as "an invalid object" and now is stuck there. It would be normal if the Homebrew version was the one who crashes most, but it is weird that the Internet one started to give crash dumps and getting stuck in the three ways I explained above, that didn't happen with the older version and it is weird that it started to happen now, because my Wii hasn't suffered of more damage.
      Well, then maybe there was an error with the RC24 stuff? Maybe try uninstalling all the Riiconnect24 stuff and see if the issue still occurs. If your Wii also randomly gets stuck opening the Internet Channel, or launching other apps in the Homebrew Channel, *and* your SD is also broken / unstable, then I don't think your issues are caused by the Wiimmfi patcher.

Yeah, our Wiis are weird with that sticking stuff, and I use USB since the SD slot is broken in my Wii, so blackscreen in Homebrew apps are normal for me, but the Internet Channel exploit failing is not normal for me, since it doesn't need a SD/USB device and I never experienced that crash dumps before. But well, maybe is my Wii tricking me, but it never happened to me before, thanks for the help.
      Worldwide matchmaking in Excitebike: World Rally seems to have broke from the recent update. You can search for a match but can't connect to another player. Friend room matchmaking works.

I used the RiiConnect24 Patcher v1.4.1.3 to update the WiiWare game. It just stays like this and doesn't change (picture). One profile is via Dolphin and the other is from an actual Wii, two different NANDs.
      Please re-download the patcher and re-patch a clean game, the patchers have been updated yesterday to fix exactly this issue.