Does Dolphin framelag now give a disadvantage to the lagging player?

Does Dolphin framelag now give a disadvantage to the lagging player?

I couldn't find any answer, so if it's a duplicate please let me know.
      I'm a Dolphin Wiimmfi player and I can't understand this dilemma:

Wiimm schrieb:

Almost all Dolphin users have huge online delay. You don't see that while racing, but we can see that using mkw-ana. At the end of a race, the delay is often at up to 30 seconds! The player looks like he would be driving just normal, but at the end of a race every player sends his own race time to the others and that delay causes the results to be screwed up just like a timer hack would do. This way, the player ends up being in a better place than he actually raced. You could say that using Dolphin is like using an uninteded timer hack. And I personally consider delays of more than one second to be unfair.

If my game does less than 60 fps, and this happens to me a lot of times, I would take advantage in the case that my game stops the timer because it loses frames AND my vehicle keeps going.
      But every time my game lags or it's stuck for a few seconds, it is like I am not moving. I get overtook and it's like other vehicles go faster. So if I cover 2 meters every frame, and I miss 1 frame (it's an example), my full-fps opponent will be 2 meters ahead.
      With the Wiimm explanation in this case we will be in the same position but I'll have less time on my timer.
      So is it now that framelag gives you a disadvantage and not an advantage?
      Previously, with an unmodified Mario Kart Wii, it worked like this - your Dolphin was lagging, meaning it had less than 60fps, which meant that A) you were driving slower than other people and B) your timer was running slower than other people's timers.

However, because you are slower than other people, the game would give you good items (Bullet Bill, Golden Mushroom, ...) to make up for that and make it easier / easy for you to get back to and overtake the other players. However, your in-game timer in the top right corner of the screen would still be slow and not run in real-time - and that timer is what determines who won.

This means, assuming you have huge amounts of lag, like, only 30 instead of 60fps, and assuming a race normally takes 1 minute to finish.
      Then you would be half as fast as the other players, the game thinks that that is because you suck at the game and gives you bullet bills, golden mushrooms and other stuff to increase your speed.
      Then at the end of the race the other players claim that they took a minute for the race, and your Dolphin claims it took 30 seconds (because the timer ran way slower). This means, even if you reach the finish line way after all the other players (lets say when your timer shows 45 seconds, which, in real time, would be 1 minute and 30 seconds, the game would still count you as winner since you only took 45 in-game seconds. That means you are getting a huge advantage and will be winning races even when you finish last.

With all the changes we made to Dolphin, Mario Kart Wii and to Wiimmfi, the in-game timer will now always run at 60fps no matter what speed the rest of the game runs at - this means that now the winner of the race is actually the person who finishes first, and not the person who claims to have used the least amount of time. Sure, that gives you a disadvantage since your Dolphin is running slower, but the game tries to make up for that by giving you better items. And this way (giving the disadvantage to the person whose fault it is, meaning, to the Dolphin player) is way more fair than giving Dolphin players with lag a huge time advantage.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()