[Question] Updating squads in FIFA via Wiimmfi (Nintendo DS)

[Question] Updating squads in FIFA via Wiimmfi (Nintendo DS)

Hi, recently I discovered Wiimmfi where I can play Nintendo DS games online after WFC shutdown. The fact that I can play Mario kart ds with my friends is really amazing.
      I have noticed that FIFA games can also be played online with this service. Which is also mind-blowing.
      FIFA games on the DS has a really cool feature named "Squad Update" which will allow you to keep your squads updated all the time.
      It used to work when WFC was there but I haven't got any luck updating the squads via Wiimmfi.
      (FIFA 08 - for some reason, it failed every time I tried to connect to Wiimmfi)
      (FIFA 09 - The game is able to fetch the date of the latest update which is 27 Feb 2009 but unable to download it)
      (FIFA 10/11 - Cannot even fetch the date of the latest squad update)

I am currently working on a romhacking project of FIFA 09 which will update the squads. The squads file inside the rom are weirdly formatted and has a lot of limitations.

I want to know how the Squad file works and squad updating system itself. And, if it is possible to add a custom file to the Wiimmfi server to be downloaded by the game.
      If its possible, it will be an amazing way to roll squad updates for my romhacks.

If someone has a thought, idea, or a solution, please let me know.

Thank you.
      Game-dependant Wiimmfi features like this are always a bit tricky. Gamespy / the official Nintendo servers offered multiple different solutions / ways to send custom content to the game (DLS1, gamestats, SAKE, ...) and only one of them (DLS1) is somewhat standardized. If Fifa is using the DLS1 server to download these updates, then Wiimmfi would in theory support that already; all that's needed would be someone to host these game updates - Wiimm and me do not want to host these on Wiimmfi as the game updates for most games will contain copyrighted code that we probably aren't allowed to distribute.

However, if the game implements its own custom solution using Gamestats or SAKE-like servers, that's going to be way, way more difficult and probably not something Wiimmfi will be able to do.
      Also, Wiimmfi (and/or Wiimm and me) have absolutely no idea how these squad files would need to be formatted. All the game update processes are basically just sending a file to the game - how that file is set up and what data it contains in what format is up to the game.

So, the first step should be to try and make a network dump and see what server(s) the game tries to connect to when downloading the game update data.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Thank you for your answer.

Leseratte schrieb:

the first step should be to try and make a network dump and see what server(s) the game tries to connect to when downloading the game update data.
      How can I make a network dump?

Leseratte schrieb:

Wiimm and me do not want to host these on Wiimmfi as the game updates for most games will contain copyrighted code that we probably aren't allowed to distribute.
      I will not have any problem hosting those updates. All I want is an update file that will allow me to research on it.
      We will not be able to provide you with any existing update file, as we do not have these either for FIFA. So you'd need to find one that someone has already downloaded from the official servers back in 2014 when they were still up, or you need to recreate one from scratch yourself.

You can make a network dump with tools like Wireshark, but you do need to have a way to route your DS' network traffic through your computer to do that. The easiest way to get that to work on a DS is probably to open a wireless hotspot on your computer and connect the DS to that.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Leseratte schrieb:

We will not be able to provide you with any existing update file, as we do not have these either for FIFA. So you'd need to find one that someone has already downloaded from the official servers back in 2014 when they were still up, or you need to recreate one from scratch yourself.
      So, you guys don't have those updates on your server cuz that could potentially contain copyrighted material, right?
      I didn't think about that problem when I saw 100 classic books on the ds can easily download books from Wiimmfi's servers.

Leseratte schrieb:

You can make a network dump with tools like Wireshark, but you do need to have a way to route your DS' network traffic through your computer to do that. The easiest way to get that to work on a DS is probably to open a wireless hotspot on your computer and connect the DS to that
      Thank you for that solution. FIFA 09 on the ds is quite interesting because it can fetch the date of the latest update while other games can't.