Animal Crossing Wiimmfi with Riivolution mod

Animal Crossing Wiimmfi with Riivolution mod

Greetings,
      I'm currently developing a large mod for Animal Crossing City Folk / Let's Go to the City, and I'd like players to connect to the Wiimmfi servers if they want to play together. As the mod is developed as a Riivolution patch, I'm not quite sure how users can connect to Wiimmfi on real hardware just with their disc. Thus, I had the idea to include the Wiimmfi patches in the codebase for my mod since it would be much easier to manage. Then people should be able to simply boot the mod and they can use Wiimmfi. I saw there's a brainslug module but I'm not using that and I'm not considering reworking my code base.
      Thus, my question is: What exactly do I have to patch myself in order to connect to Wiimmfi? Do I just need to redirect all nintendowifi.net references to wiimmfi.de? Are there more settings I need to change? Is there any source code for the brainslug module that I can adapt?
      Thanks in advance. I haven't announced the mod yet because I don't want to spoil the exact contents. But I can guarantee you that it is fully compatible with the base game, as no new compatibility-breaking content is featured.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Aurum ()

In theory, replacing nintendowifi.net with wiimmfi.de and all HTTPS references to HTTP is enough to make Animal Crossing connect to Wiimmfi, yes.

In practice, we noticed a huge security flaw in most Wii games a couple years ago (including Animal Crossing) and now only let games connect to Wiimmfi when that flaw is fixed. For more information see wiimmfi.de/update , though that page doesn't go into detail what exactly is patched.

Easiest way is probably to take a clean Animal Crossing ISO or WBFS image, patch that image with the Wiimmfi ISO patcher. Then you can just extract the main.dol from both the original game and the patched game, compare the differences with a tool like hexdiff, and then just apply all the patches to your mod as well.

The source code for that security fix patch is available somewhere, but given that that code has to be compatible with all games it's a bit complex and definitely not something that can be put into an XML as-is, so even with the source code you'd have to apply the patch to Animal Crossing and then just check what changed and replicate it in your game mod.

As far as other things are concerned, as long as your game mod doesn't affect / change anything about how worldwide matches with non-modded players work, and your mod doesn't give players an advantage over other non-modded players, it's probably fine.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

In terms of competitiveness, there sure aren't advantages over non-modded players, so that will definitely be fine. ACCF is not competitive in general. And yes, it's fully compatible with the base game, so there won't be problems in terms of "matchmaking".
      I'm a developer myself, and I'm not just making a Riivolution patch, but I'm managing my own custom code that I link with a custom Kamek-based code engine. Thus, having the source code would definitely be helpful for me. If you can tell me where I can find it, I'd really appreciate that :>
      Thanks for your answer!
      Also, I'd really like to ensure that you are fine with modded games being compatible with Wiimmfi, so if there's a chance, I'd like to discuss this in a private chat since I don't want to reveal the exact contents of my mod to the public yet. Being able to play with others is very important, however.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Aurum ()

The patch can be found in the sources of Wiimms ISO tools, under /project/src/patch.c in the function security_patch. This source code file also contains all the other patch-related stuff for Wiimmfi, but that's basically just domain replacement (nintendowifi.net to wiimmfi.de) and removal of HTTPS.

If you want to discuss some stuff in private, my Discord is @leseratte; you can send me a message there.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()