Beginners Questions About "Wads"

Beginners Questions About "Wads"

I've come back to my Wii after several years. It has been modded successfully and I can play games from a hard drive. I have been researching WiiGSC and have some confusion about terminology. I had always thought that a "Wad" file was a file of the game itself but WiiGSC uses the term Wad but describes the file you are making as a shortcut to a game on you USB drive. Some people describe Wad's as possibly dangerous to your Wii but I would think a shortcut would be safe.
      I would appreciate some clarification or direction to the info.

Thanks
      A WAD is any file that can be installed onto a Wii.

It can be an IOS (part of the operating system of the Wii), it can be the "bootloader" (boot2 or bootmii), it can be the System Menu, it can be homebrew (like the Homebrew Channel), it can be an actual game (Virtual Console or WiiWare from the Wii Shop, for example), or it can be a small forwarder to something else (like, to a game on a USB drive or to some homebrew on the SD card).

And even a shortcut WAD is not 100% safe - if the Wii doesn't "like" the contents of a WAD because they are invalid, the system menu will refuse to boot. If you don't have any software installed that can run at boot before the System Menu launches (or, in this case, doesn't launch), the Wii will be bricked.

DevkitPro Archiv (alte Versionen / old versions): wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/
      Want to donate for Wiimmfi and Wii-Homebrew.com? Patreon / PayPal

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 0 mal editiert, zuletzt von Leseratte ()

Thank you for your explanation. It helped me understand a lot. Could you please point me to a site that deals the programs needed in case I brick the Wii. I'm pretty sure I have all of the necessary file/programs as the tutorial I followed included those but I wouldn't know what to do with them if I needed to. Is there a way to test that they are correct?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von drlarrye ()