[Resolved] Why can’t my DSi play Mario Kart online with that configuration ? (packet capture included)

[Resolved] Why can’t my DSi play Mario Kart online with that configuration ? (packet capture included)

Dear forum readers,

I have a DSi console on which I intend to play Mario Kart DS online. To achieve this, I’m trying RiiConnect24’s DNS (167.86.108.126) as a custom DNS server, as well as two different options :
      1. Sharing my Android phone’s mobile internet with an unprotected wireless hotspot
      2. Using a soft wireless AP (unprotected wifi too) on my Linux laptop, acting as a router to my home Wifi and the internet (using Network Manager on an Ubuntu 23.10 system)
      Option 1 works, option 2 doesn’t. That’s unfortunate since option 2 is my favorite because it’s more configurable (I can have mac address filtering and WEP if need be) and doesn’t drain my phone’s battery as well as my poor man’s mobile data plan. When testing the connection, the DSi says there’s no internet access.

I thought there was a problem with some traffic not going through, but after doing some packet capture and comparing both cases (phone and Linux box), it seems to me that all traffic goes through accordingly. There’s a NAT testing procedure at the end, with some UDP traffic, I suppose that’s where things go wrong, but without knowledge of the protocol, I’m currently unable to find the reason.

That’s why I came here, in the hope someone knowledgeable can point me the right direction. Traffic capture is attached (case 1 (phone) has been captured in monitor mode).

Your advices are welcome.
      Dateien
      Well well well it seems my previous post still hasn’t been approved by a moderator lol, but I’ll post an update anyway !

So, it turns out the problem was likely related to my external (USB) wireless device that wasn’t performing very well in AP mode, because once I switched the roles of my wifi adapters between soft AP and domestic LAN station, everything worked well. Mind you, that adapter is a good but old one, it’s an old 802.11g Belkin USB dongle I bought more than ten years ago because it can do packet injection…